Scene of the shooting: The car pictured belongs to Christy Keane and is not connected to the police property application which came before Judge Tom O’Donnell at Limerick Circuit Court
GARDAI have been ordered to return a high-powered car which was seized following the attempted murder of Christy Keane almost three years ago in Limerick.
The criminal figure successfully appealed an earlier court ruling which had allowed gardai to retain the 08 L-registered BMW 5 Series.
Making a police property application, lawyers representing the 40-year-old registered owner argued it was unfair and unreasonable that he is being deprived of the use of his car, which they said has depreciated in value since it was seized by gardai.
While nobody has been charged in connection with the attempted murder, state solicitor Padráig Mawe, said a comprehensive file was forwarded to the office of the Director of Public Prosections late last year.
He said there are multiple suspects and that there may be “multiple legal teams” involved at some point in the future.
He told Judge Tom O’Donnell that queries of a “technical nature” have emerged and that gardai are making efforts to clarify the matters raised.
Christy Keane, 57, sustained a number of gunshot wounds to his body and arms when he was targeted as he arrived at the UL Sports Arena at around 6.45am on June 29, 2015.
The BMW was seized when a property on the outskirts the city was searched on July 4, 2015 after gardai received confidential information.
The vehicle which was concealed at the rear of a house was seized under the provisions of the Criminal Justice Act.
It is the belief of gardai the car was used following the shooting of Christy Keane to transport people from the scene.
Seeking the return of the BMW, Shane O’Callaghan BL said the vehicle had been photographed and forensically examined by gardai and that it was “highly unlikely” that it would ever be produced as an exhibit during any future criminal trial.
Ordering the return of the BMW within seven days, Judge O’Donnell noted it was seized almost three years ago and that directions have not yet been received from the DPP.
When asked if his order related to the contents of the car, the judge said was “not getting into that discussion”.