Second man jailed following robbery at Limerick internet cafe

David Hurley


David Hurley

Second man jailed following robbery at Limerick internet cafe

A SECOND young man has been jailed in relation to a robbery at an internet cafe in Limerick city.

Lee Kavanagh, aged 21, of no fixed abode, pleaded guilty to charges relating to an incident at Station Internet Cafe, Davis Street on February 20, 2017.

Limerick Circuit Court was told he and another man entered the premises at around 7.25pm and that one of them threatened a worker while the second went behind the counter and took cash from the register.

A struggle then ensued before the culprits escaped with around €1,200 in cash and a Samsung mobile phone belonging to the employee.

Judge Tom O’Donnell was told Mr Kavanagh, who has a young daughter, was identified on CCTV and that it appeared from the footage that his co-accused was the main aggressor.

While gardai located the culprits nearby a short time later, the money was not recovered and compensation has not been paid.

John O’Sullivan BL, instructed by State Solicitor Padraig Mawe added that “certain comments” were made by the culprits during the robbery which he did not propose to go into in open court.

Eimear Carey BL said her client, who was intoxicated on the night, had a difficult upbringing and that there was an “element of immaturity in his behaviour”.

Referring to the contents of a probation report, she noted her client began taking drugs at a very young age and that he has a very limited education.

The defendant has 11 previous convictions but that all of them relate to district court matters.

Imposing sentence, Judge O’Donnell noted Mr Kavanagh had a “transient childhood” and that he does not know who his father is.

He noted he has a lack of social skills and that homelessness and idleness have been a feature of his life.

The judge said he accepted the offence was opportunistic rather than pre-meditated and that Mr Kavanagh is trying to address his alcohol and drug issues.

Having considered the matter, he imposed a three year prison sentence, suspending the final twelve months.

The defendant was ordered to engage with the Probation Service for a year after he is released from prison.