Convicted paedophile accused of failing to provide address to Limerick gardai

David Hurley


David Hurley

Convicted paedophile accused of not providing address to Limerick gardai

A CONVICTED paedophile was remanded in custody in Limerick after he was charged with failing to notify gardai of his address as required by law.

The 82-year-old was sentenced to four and a half years’ imprisonment in 2012 for sexually abusing two school boys in Limerick city the previous year.

Limerick Circuit Court was told the man had befriended his victims, who were aged nine and 10 at the time, by rewarding them with cigarettes, money, crisps and soft drinks.

He pleaded guilty to six sample charges having initially been charged with a total of 19 counts.

The offences happened on a daily basis over a “three or four week period”  after the defendant met the boys when they were fishing at Canal Bank during their mid-term break from school.

Following his conviction, the man’s name was also placed on the Sex Offenders Register and he was ordered not to have any unsupervised contact with children under the age of 18 following his release from prison.

The pensioner has a large number of previous convictions relating to sexual offences which happened on dates between January 1, 1966 and February 23, 2008 at locations in Limerick, Cork, Tipperary and Kilkenny.

At Limerick District Court last Friday evening, Garda Tom Dileen gave evidence of arresting the pensioner at Cecil Street shortly after 6pm on February 1, last.

He said he was taken to Mayorstone garda station where he was later charged under the provisions of Section 12 of the Sex Offenders Act 2001.

The man, he said, made no reply when he was formally charged.

It is alleged the defendant left his address in Limerick city on December 4, last and that he failed to notify gardai of his new address within seven days – as he required to do.

While the 82-year-old has an address at an apartment in the city centre, gardai believe he travelled to Dublin and Cork in recent weeks.

Garda Dileen confirmed gardai have concerns in relation to the defendant and that they will be opposing bail.

Judge Marian O’Leary noted this and she remanded the defendant in custody until this Tuesday when the case will be reviewed.

If convicted the defendant faces a fine or up to 12 months’ imprisonment.