Teacher goes on trial over fatal Limerick collision

David Hurley


David Hurley



Teacher goes on trial over fatal Limerick collision

David Page has gone on trial at Limerick Circuit Court

A JURY has been told a young man died after he sustained severe head injuries in a road collision on the N20 Limerick to Cork Road almost four years ago.

David Page, aged 30, of Ohily, Woodford, Loughrea, County Galway has pleaded not guilty to dangerous driving causing the death of Minjie Chen (23) at Cregane, Bruree on July 23, 2014.

The deceased man – a Chinese national –  was living with his family in Clonakility, West Cork at the time while the defendant is a teacher in Mullingar, County Westmeath. 

The jury of eight men and four women heard evidence, this Wednesday, the collision happened on the Charleville side of O’Rourke’s Cross at around 12.30pm.

Opening the case, Lily Buckley BL, instructed by state solicitor Aidan Judge, said Mr Page had travelled from Galway to Cork city earlier in the morning and was returning home having attended a job interview.

Mr Chen, she said, was travelling in the opposite direction when the collision happened.

Oliver Casey who was travelling around 400 yards behind the Mazda car being driven by Mr Chen, described seeing the Peugeot car being driven by the defendant suddenly “veer across the road” resulting in an “almost head-on collision”.

The witness, who was driving a pick-up truck, said it was a "lovely dry warm day" and that the road was quiet for that time of day.

Mr Chen's car, the court heard, ended up in a ditch while the defendant's car came to a stop in the middle of the road having spun around following the impact.

The 23-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene by a local doctor and a post mortem examination was subsequently carried out at University Hospital Limerick.

The jurors, who were shown garda photographs of the scene,  were told excessive speed was not a factor in the collision and that Mr Page passed a roadside breath test.

Ms Buckley said it was later established that he was not on the phone at the time the impact occurred.

When questioned a number of months after the accident, Mr Page told gardai he was travelling home and that the last thing he remembered before the impact was passing the Charleville Park Hotel.

The trial continues.