State accused of 'not doing its best' in Limerick rape case delay

David Hurley

Reporter:

David Hurley

Concern: Solicitor Ted McCarthy

Concern: Solicitor Ted McCarthy

CONCERNS have been expressed at the delay in progressing the case of man who is accused of raping a woman in Limerick earlier this year.

Solicitor Ted McCarthy has accused the State of “not doing its best”, particularly given that his client has been in custody since he was charged. 

The 29-year-old, who is originally from Romania, is accused of raping the woman at an address in Dooradoyle on September 9, last.

While he was previously granted bail, he has not been in a position to take it up and remains in custody.

During a review of the case, Mr McCarthy raised concerns about the delay in securing directions from the Director of Public Prosecutions relating to the case.

Sgt Donal Cronin said the garda file relating to the alleged offence has not yet been completed and that it is unlikely to be sent to the office of the DPP before Christmas.

“It’s quite a complex charge,” he said, adding there was a forensic element to the investigation and that it takes time to process such evidence.

“It’s a very modest and short period of time in investigative terms,” he told Limerick District Court.

Expressing his dissatisfaction with the delay, Mr McCarthy said the State is not being sympathetic towards his client who, he said, enjoys the presumption of innocence.

“The State is obviously not doing its best,” he said, submitting a delay of three months should not be allowed.

“If this keeps going, the State will be here in a year’s time seeking to justify delays of five or six months in getting directions,” he said.

While expressing some concerns about the delay, Judge O’Leary adjourned the matter to early January, asking that matters be progressed quickly.