Limerick councillor wants Irish Cement to hold public meeting


Nick Rabbitts


Nick Rabbitts

Limerick councillor wants Irish Cement to hold public meeting

Irish Cement is seeking to replace the use of fossil fuel with tyres and other waste products at its plant in Mungret

LIMERICK City West councillor Joe Leddin has called on Irish Cement management to arrange a public meeting over its plans for Mungret.

As part of a €10m plan, the company is seeking to switch from burning fossil fuels to used tyres and other combustible materials.

Some 76 people have objected to the council on the plan, with many asking Irish Cement to also arrange a meeting to address their concerns.

Cllr Leddin says people in the entire City West ward are “genuinely concerned” at the impact of Irish Cement securing permission for the change in process.

“I have also met with senior management in Irish Cement and while I acknowledge the commitment and contribution that this company has shown over many years I believe there is an onus on the company to facilitate a public information meeting,” he said.

Last summer, white dust was sent through the Raheen-Dooradoyle-Mungret area coating cars in estates.

Cllr Leddin said following this, “residents are rightly anxious to find out more information on what exactly the potential health implications are should another such incident occur if tyres are being burnt.”

”As a local councillor I have campaigned with others for the redevelopment of the former Mungret college lands to accommodate new schools and a playground for the benefit of the surrounding community. However this positive work and investment by the council and Department of Education is now overshadowed pending a decision and clarification on this planning application,” he concluded.

Limerick City and County Council will decide whether Irish Cement can develop in Mungret later this month.

The company will then seek a licence from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to switch from burning fossil fuels to burning used tyres.

Hopes have been expressed among residents and some politicians that the EPA will hold an oral hearing before deciding whether or not to grant a licence.