Shocks all round in Limerick senior hurling championship

Jerome O’Connell


Jerome O’Connell

CHAMPIONS NA Piarsaigh were held to a draw by South Liberties in the opening round of the Limerick senior hurling championship.

CHAMPIONS NA Piarsaigh were held to a draw by South Liberties in the opening round of the Limerick senior hurling championship.

Mark keane scored an injury time goal to secure a draw for the underdogs, 2-13 to 1-16 in Claughaun.

Adrian Breen and David Sheppard scored the Na Piarsaigh goals as they opened their defence minus five key players.

Kilmallock sent out a warning that they want their Limerick SHC title back with a resounding 2-16 to 0-8 win over Knockainey in round one of the county senior hurling championship.

The south Limerick club were the biggest winners of round one with 14-points to spare over their neighbours in Bruff on Saturday afternoon.

Managed by former Clare senior hurling manager Tony Considine, Kilmallock had eight different scorers from play.

They were 2-8 to 0-6 clear at half time with Paudie O’Dwyer setting them on their way with a goal in the opening minutes.

Just before half time Kevin O’Donnell crashed home their second goal.

Five successive points in the opening 10-minutes of the second half increased the lead to 2-13 to 0-6 and the game petered to the final whistle with Knockainey failing to score in the final quarter.

Patrickswell needed a late goal from Kevin O’Brien to secure a draw against newcomers Effin, 1-14 to 1-13.

There was also a draw on Friday evening when Croom and Hospital-Herbertstown finished 3-6 to 1-12.

An Eoin O’Farrell goal had Croom off to a flyer but it was Hosp-Herb that led 2-5 to 1-5 at half time.

A goal from a 21-metre free from goalkeeper Aaron Murphy had Hosp-Herb in front in the final minutes but Croom’s Conor Allis helped secure the draw with a late point for his side.

Also on Saturday evening was the one of the biggest shocks of the weekend with Granagh-Ballingarry defeating Adare 3-10 to 1-14 in Newcastle West.

A John Fitzgibbon penalty had Adare off to a flying start and they led 1-7 to 1-5 at half time with his former Ardscoil Ris colleague Niall Kennedy getting the Granagh-Ballingarry goal.

A Denis O’Connor goal in the second half helped the underdogs to keep in touch but Adare led entering the final stretch.

But up-stepped Kevin O’Connor with the winning goal in jury time.

Another surprise over the weekend was Garryspillane’s 1-17 to 2-11 win over Doon in Caherconlish.

Garryspillane were led by a tally of 11-points from free-taker Donie Ryan. They led 0-13 to 1-4 at half time.

Last evening in Kilmallock Emmets were 3-10 to 1-11 winners over Bruree.

Eoin Walsh helped himself to two goals for the winners, who were 1-5 to 0-6 ahead at half time.

Limerick inter-county defender Richie McCarthy added their third goal from a penalty after Mark O’Connell was fouled.

Michael Lane got the Bruree goal but the divisional side pulled away in the final quarter for the merited win.

Murroe-Boher were 2-15 to 1-14 winners over Ahane with Sean Tobin getting both goals for the winners.