AFTER six years the divisional involvement in the Limerick SHC has come to an end.
At the January County Board meeting in Claughaun a motion from Granagh-Ballingarry and Garryspillane was strongly backed by club delegates to remove the divisional team from the championship for 2013.
As a result of the decision, Granagh-Balllingarry have been reinstated to the SHC and Ballybricken-Bohermore returned to the IHC with both relegations deemed void.
The draws for both the SHC and IHC will take place on February 12.
Newly elected Limerick GAA vice-chairman Pat Heffernan was among those that spoke in favour of the divisional team involvement.
South Board chairman Declan Murphy also spoke in favour.
“As chairman of the South Board I asked all the clubs that would be involved with Emmets and 90% were behind Emmets for this year,” he told the meeting.
“Emmets got blamed last year but it’s more about the way the championship is structured,” he explained.
Kieran O’Donovan of St Mary Sean Finns, Rathkeale added his voice to those in favour of divisional teams.
“We feel it is important that as many players as possible get the chance to play at the highest level,” he said.
Claughaun’s John O’Brien took the opposite view.
“We found ourselves playing against an amalgamation of high quality players. Look at their results and they were only beaten by the cream of what is out there,” said O’Brien.
The vast majority agreed with O’Brien and the end was signalled for the divisional team.
Last August, Emmets’ failure to start the county senior hurling championship game against Adare with a full compliment of 15 players was the beginning of the end. Nonetheless Emmets did progress in the 2012 championship and it was the fourth season that they advanced to the knockout stages.