The trial is taking place at a temporary courtroom at Croke Park
THE child abuse trial of three men and three women has been adjourned to facilitate the installation of a new sound system in the courtroom.
Addressing the jury of eight men and seven women today, Mr Justice Paul McDermott said there were a number of sound issues that he was not happy about.
The trial, which is taking place at a temporary courtroom at Croke Park to facilitate social distancing, was adjourned early last Friday as many people in the court were having trouble hearing the proceedings.
Work to install a new sound system started over the weekend and it is expected to be finished later today.
Mr Justice McDermott told the jury he had hoped the work would be completed over the weekend without disruption to the trial, but this didn't prove possible.
The judge said he didn't believe the adjournment would affect the length of the trial. The jury asked for an updated time frame last week and were told the trial should finish up around the end of July.
The trial will continue tomorrow.
The six family members, who can't be named for legal reasons, are accused of abusing three children between 2014 and 2016. The accused are the parents, aunts and uncles of the children.
They range in ages from 27 to 56 and live in various locations in Munster.
The parents are also accused of neglecting five of their children. All of the accused have denied the charges against them.
The charges against a seventh person – the children's 57-year-old grandmother – were withdrawn earlier this week by direction of the trial judge.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.