THE Dominican Order has repeated its intention to withdraw from Limerick city, but has said there is “no pre-set date” for the move.
The Order announced its intention to withdraw from Limerick in September of last year, where it has been based for nearly 800 years, citing “falling numbers of friars” to staff its commitments as the reason for the withdrawal from a number of locations, including St Saviour’s on Glentworth Street.
The Dominicans said last year that it was to begin a process of “re-organising our commitments in Ireland”, a move it confirmed would include a withdrawal from Limerick.
However, it continues to maintain a presence in Limerick and the Leader understands that hopes are high the decision might be reversed, with a local boxing club also being housed in the Domincans’ extensive city centre facilities in the interim period.
Asked for an update on the situation this Tuesday and whether the Order still intends to depart from Limerick, spokesman Fr Bernard Treacy said: “Yes, the intention to withdraw from a series of our present houses still stands.
“Local consultations are taking place, and there is no pre-set date for the implementation of the move,” he added.
There are three priests based at St Saviour’s Church in the city. Speaking at the time of the announcement, Bishop of Limerick Brendan Leahy expressed his “personal sadness” at the decision taken by the Dominicans to leave.