Limerick Fire Service issue reminder on Christmas safety

LIMERICK Fire and Rescue Service is urging members of the public to put fire safety at the top of their Christmas lists this year.

LIMERICK Fire and Rescue Service is urging members of the public to put fire safety at the top of their Christmas lists this year.

The main causes of fire during the festive season are candles left unprotected, fairylights left on all night or improperly wired, Christmas trees falling over, decorations catching fire and open fires without fireguards.

Limerick Chief Fire Officer Michael Ryan says people should familiarise themselves with the fire safety advice available on the Council websites, or

“Christmas is a time for celebrating with families but it also is a time when extra fire hazards appear such as fairy lights, candles, open fires and decorations,” he said.

“I encourage householders across Limerick to think about fire safety ahead of and during the Christmas period to avoid the risk of their Christmas being ruined.

“Open fires are used for longer periods during the Christmas period as people spend a lot more time at home. Electrical items and extension leads are also used more. Add in flammable decorations, candles and alcohol and it becomes apparent that the risks increase during the festive season.

He added: “Limerick Fire and Rescue Service wishes everyone a safe Christmas and a happy New Year. We wish to remind members of the public to brief themselves with our safety tips to ensure that their holidays are not ruined by fire incidents.”


- Install a smoke alarm and check it weekly.

- Always use a proper candleholder and make sure the candle fits firmly inside it. Leave plenty of space above and around the candle and candleholder

- Keep candles away from curtains, Christmas cards and anything that can catch fire

- Never leave candles unattended or go to sleep when they are alight

- Make sure your Christmas tree has a good base or is attached to the wall. Remember that trees dry out and make very good fuel to start a fire.

- Be careful with any decorations placed near the fireplace

- Visit any elderly neighbours. Smoke alarms make good presents as they are for life…saving life.

In the event of a fire in your home “Get Out, Stay Out And Call the Fire Brigade Out”. The Fire Service can be contacted by dialling 999/112.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.