A FAMILY’S grief for their toddler son, who died unexpectedly just over two weeks ago, was compounded by thieves who broke into relatives’ cars outside a cemetery.
The little boy was two years of age when he passed away at him home on Friday, November 21. He was laid to rest in Doon cemetery where relations went to visit his grave last Saturday afternoon at around 4.20pm.
Garda John Finnerty said the owners of three cars – two were belonging to the family of the little boy – were only gone for 10 minutes,
“Each car had been broken into and personal items including handbags and cash were stolen from each car,” said Garda Finnerty. The parish was repulsed when news broke of who the victims were.
Fr Tony Ryan said it is “very upsetting“.
“It is most distressing. It is most unacceptable. People should be able to go into a cemetery in time honoured tradition to pray for their dead and then they are exploited by thieves like this... It is unacceptable, it shouldn’t be tolerated by anyone,” said Fr Ryan.
This incident in Doon follows a similar crime outside Abington cemetery in September.
“People will have to be vigilant and it is very sad that they have to do this. It is a lovely tradition of going into the cemetery and praying for their dead.
“People will feel under pressure to keep an eye out on their cars while they are remembering their departed loved ones. It is awful that it has come to that. It is dreadful and intolerable behaviour,” said Fr Ryan.
Sergeant Helen Holden said there is a trend of criminals targeting cars outside graveyards and warned the public to keep valuables with them and not left on view in the car. Gardai are appealing for the public’s assistance in catching the culprits.
They are seeking any witnesses to come forward and can be contacted at 061 382940 or the garda confidential line on 1800 666111.