NEWCASTLE West Show will not take place this year for the first time in almost a generation, after organisers were unable to find an alternative venue for the postponed event.
The show had been due to take place on July 15 but had to be abandoned a week beforehand after heavy rain made the traditional 30-acre show grounds at Ballynoe, Castlemahon impassable.
Organisers had sought to re-fix the event for a weekend in September to try to ensure that the historic event would be held in some capacity this year.
However the 2012 show was officially cancelled this week after an alternative venue could not be found.
Seamus Leahy, PRO of the Newcastle West Show organising committee, said that the “tough decision” to call off the show was taken this week.
“We were looking around for an alternative venue, but with the weather we haven’t been able to find anything.”
The Newcastle West Show dates back to 1923 when it was originally staged using lands in the Castle Demesne, as well as the Market Yard and the old Carnegie Library. It was stopped in the early 1960s, when the equestrian and livestock judging ceased for a number of years, but was soon revived and has since grown into one of the largest agricultural shows in Munster.
The absence of Newcastle West from this year’s local showing schedule was a blow keenly felt across County Limerick, as it has established itself as a highly anticipated date in the social calendar which typically attracts 10,000 visitors each year.
Mr Leahy said that while the demise of this year’s show is a disappointment that will take time to shake, the committee are already planning to bring the event back next summer.
“We’re planning a bigger and better show next year to make up for it. We’ve already marked in July 21, 2013 as the next date.”
Mr Leahy added that the event’s sponsors had shown terrific support during their recent troubles.
“We’d just like to take this opportunity to thank the sponsors of this year’s show. There’d never be a show without them.”