ONE of the vacant local authority properties vandalised in Southill last week should shortly be occupied after an offer was made to a potential tenant last week, according to Limerick City Council.
Only minor damage was caused at Swallow Drive, Carew Park, when youths knocked a boundary wall separating the front gardens of two houses at Swallow Drive, Carew Park. A local man’s car was vandalised around the same time.
Resident Pat Begley was last week critical of the length of time it look City Hall to re-let vacant properties and homes which were boarded up in advance of finding a new resident were only attracting anti-social behaviour. With 3500 people on the housing list, it shouldn’t take a year to re-let houses, as Mr Begley maintained was the case at one of the Swallow Drive houses.
Jason Murphy, senior executive officer working on Southside Regeneration with Limerick City Council, said one of the properties was now ready to be re-let, with an offer having being made last Thursday. Heating and other small works were needed at the other house before it would be ready for re-letting in a few weeks, Mr Murphy said.
“One is being allocated at the moment and the other still needs a small bit of work. But it is not as though we have been doing nothing or resting on our laurels. There were a number of different proposals we were working on consultation with the community in respect of those properties, including their use as community offices,” said Mr Murphy.
While the proposal to allow the estate management group use the property had not gone ahead, Limerick City Council was preparing a funding application while this was still being discussed and this had held up the re-letting of the property.
“If they were to be used as community offices, they would have had to be kitted out as such and we would have had to go in for funding,” explained Mr Murphy.