A 15-year-old boy who absconded from custody last week was returned to detention after he handed himself over to gardai.
The teenager, who cannot be named because of his age, faces multiple charges relating to incidents which happened at locations across the city over a four month period last year.
He is accused of breaking into two houses in the Castletroy area of the city in the early hours of December 3 last and with possession of a knife at one of the houses.
The youth, who is in foster care, is also accused of stealing several cars and a pedal bike on dates in September, October and November.
When the case of the teenager was called at a sitting of the Children’s Court last week, Judge Mary Larkin was told the defendant was not present as he had absconded having been brought from Oberstown to Limerick earlier in the day.
Solicitor Ted McCarthy said there had been no indication of any difficulties during the journey down prior to his arrival.
“The car door opened to let him out and he ducked and ran,” he said.
Noting that the teenager was not present in court, Judge Mary Larkin issued a bench warrant for his arrest.
The Limerick Leader has learned the teenager presented himself to gardai in the precincts of Limerick Courthouse in the company of his foster mother - almost 48 hours after he absconded.
After being charged in relation to his non-appearance in court, he was then returned to Oberstown, where he had been serving a six month sentence, ahead of a sitting of the children’s court this week, when details of his arrest will be formally outlined to the presiding judge.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.