Sean Wall who was one of the most significant commanders in the region during the War of Independence was remembered in Bruff on Sunday. Sean Wall was born in Ardykeohane, Bruff in 1888. He was killed in tragic circumstances following an attack by a raiding party on a house in Annacarty, County Tipperary in May 1921. He was married with a young family.
The commemorative ceremony takes place every Easter Sunday at the request of the late Canon Gerard Wall.
In 1944, a committee of former IRA members set about erecting the Sean Wall memorial, which was unveiled in October 1952 by President Sean T O’Ceallaigh opposite the church in Bruff.
This year sees the 60th anniversary of the unveiling of the monument by President O’Ceallaigh and the local committee will be organising an event later in the year to mark this anniversary.
“In October it will be 60 years since this memorial was unveiled and we will endeavour to honour that occasion at a later stage in the year,” said Michael J Noonan in his address at the commemorative event on Sunday.
“The years may dull the memories of the enormity of the fight, and the pain suffered, borne with courage,” he added.
The ceremony consisted of the reading of the proclamation by Sean McNamara, laying of the wreath by Austin Cregan, a decade of the Rosary led by Rev Canon James Costello, raising of the Tricolour Colour Party led by Sergt C O’Connor (Ret’d) and the sounding of the Last Post.
Sean Wall was chairman of the Limerick County Council. He had a significant involvement in several developments including creameries in the county.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.