SLIDESHOW: Limerick's Premier League season goes down to the final day

PJ Matthews  Premier League - In the Premier League it all goes down to the final games next Tuesday evening after the weekend results. After a week in which Janesboro received the points after an objection against Regional and Pike Rvs picked up three points for a walkover against Kilmallock, it was back to action at the weekend.
The final round of games will see Pike host Aisling while Janesboro travel across town to play Ballynanty Rvs.

Janesboro 3
Prospect 1

On Saturday Janesboro took the points with a 3-1 win at Prospect Priory. Shane Clarke put Boro ahead before Philip Naughton restored parity for Prospect.
Eddie Brazier put ‘Boro 2-1 ahead but they had to endure a nervous finish before Clarke grabbed his second in injury time.

Janesboro: John Mulready; Danny O'Neill; Ryan O'Doherty; Tom Clarke; Lee O'Mara; Adrian Power; Mike Ryan; Niall Hanley; Aidan Hurley; Eddie Brazier; Shane Clarke.
Prospect Priory: Darren Glasheen; Adrian Healy; Ian Maher; Cyril Maher; Dean Glasheen; Ian Clancy; Philip Naughton; Rob Lowe; Corey McAllum; Danny Colbert; James Cleary.

Pike Rovers 2
Ballynanty Rovers 0

Pike ensured the title race will go to the last day following a 2-0 win over Ballynanty Rvs at the Pike Club. Evan Patterson put Pike in front and Jonathan Grant with his 51st goal of the season secured the win.

Pike Rovers: Gary Neville; Wayne O'Donovan; Eddie O'Donovan; Ian Fletcher; Pat Mullins; Eoin Hanrahan; Shane Walsh; Paddy O'Malley; Colin Daly; Evan Patterson; Jonathan Grant. Subs: Steve McGann; Adam Lipper; Jonathan Hannafin

Ballynanty Rovers: Darren Whelan; Sean Madigan; Ken Meehan; Ryan Earls; Dara Hughes; Liam Brock; Ronan Ryan; Alex Baker; Eddie Byrnes; Barry Harnett; Arron Nunan. Sub: Frank Lee

Youth Div Two Horan Cup Final

Caherdavin Celtic 3
Caledonians 2

Caherdavin staged a Champions League like comeback to win the Youth Division Two Horan Cup at Jackman Park on Thursday evening with a 3-2 win over Caledonians.
League Champions Cals looked well in control at the break leading 2-0 and under little pressure. However Caherdavin turned it around in a thrilling second half to snatch victory in a memorable game.
Alex Fitzgerald opened the scoring midway through the half, showing great determination to follow up his blocked shot to regain control and fire under Damon Lee in the Celtic goal.
Before the break Dylan Reeves doubled Cals lead with a clever run down the left and good finish from an acute angle.
Celtics half time team talk and a few personnel changes gave them an energy that put Cals on the back foot.
Ben Frost played the ball into the Cals danger zone and Kane Connolly sent a looping header past keeper Vincent Browne.
Ten minutes later it was all square when the prolific Ben Frost raced onto Conor O’Shaughnessy through ball to score.
The comeback was complete five minutes from time from a corner kick when Connolly claimed his second with a beauty finishing to the top corner.

Caherdavin Celtic: Damon Lee; Josh Moore; Stephen Brett; Adam Koyce; Rhys Dunne; Alan Neill; Conor Phelan; Dan Daly; Ian Leonard; Stephen O'Halloran; Sage Kaya. Subs: Kane Connolly; Ben Frost; Conor O'Shaughnessy; Jordon Freeman; Jack Barry; Kevin O'Grady; Morgan Corry; Mark Moylan
Caledonians: Vincent Browne; Adam Healy; Dylan Reeves; Craig Carew; Ryan Lynch; Anthony McNamara; Jake Murphy; Evan Madigan; Evan Fahy; Jason Keane; Alex Fitzgerald. Subs: Adam McNamara; Jack McGarry; Jack O'Callaghan; Jordan Noonan; Adam Quinlivan; Dean Ryan

Div 3A Power Cup Final

Kilmallock B 3
Wembley Rvs 3
(Kilmallock won 3-2 on pens aet)
If it was value for money you were looking for then Jackman Park was the place last Friday evening when League champions Kilmallock took on Wembley Rvs in the final of the Power Cup.
The game had everything. Kilmallock went 3-0 ahead only to be clawed back level in the second half. We had five players red carded including Kilmallock keeper Declan Hayes and his replacement Bryan Murphy guided his side to the double, saving three spot kicks in the ensuing penalty shoot out.
Wembley had the chance to take an early lead from the penalty spot but Hayes made a fine save to deny Gary Joyce.
It was the keepers last action as he saw red following a challenge on Diarmuid O'Callaghan.
Despite being a man down Paudie Sheedy gave Kilmallock an early lead when the ball squeezed past Wembley keeper Tommy Collins.
Paudie Sheedy scored his second from the spot and another dead ball situation saw the Kilmallock man blast a 25 yard free kick into the bottom corner to complete his hat trick.
To compound Wembley's woes they lost O'Callaghan to red before centre off.
Just before the break Wayne Cronin headed in to give Wembley Rvs hope.
After the restart Wembley went chasing the game and got some reward when a Gary Joyce free kick was parried into the path of Cronin who blasted home.
With time running out Jamie Costello headed home a superb goal to tie the game which ended 9 v 8 as the yellow card count piled.
After extra time two tired sides faced off in a penalty shoot out where Bryan Murphy came into his own saving three times to seal the win.

Kilmallock B: Declan Hayes; Shane Enright; Dave Barry; Ger Kelly; Larry Conway; John Heffernan; Mark Heffernan; Chris Todd; Paudie Sheedy; Jack Maguire; Conor Barry. Subs: Dylan O'Brien; Thomas Bowyers; Alan Cronin; Cillian Keane; Rob Conway; Bryan Murphy; Donie Barry

Wembley Rvs: Tom Collins; David Moran; Gary Joyce; Ian Geraghty; Cian Hunt; Wayne Cronin; Tom Kennedy; Diarmuid O'Callaghan; Dave Quinn; Damien O'Shea; Ger Ryan. Subs: Keith Naughton; Jamie Costello; Brian Finnegan; Ian Collins

Division 1B Calvert Cup Final

Newport 2
Hill Celtic 0

The top two sides in Div 1B, Newport Town & Hill Celtic contested the Calvert Cup Final in a sun-soaked Jackman Park on Saturday evening.
The large crowd in attendance witnessed a cracking cup final between two very evenly-matched sides.
Ultimately the game was decided by two great strikes from the division's top scorer, Christy Doyle, to ensure that the trophy crossed the border to North Tipperary and will reside in Derryleigh Park for the next 12 months.
Having played each other three times already this season, twice in the league and once in the Lawson Cup, with Newport winning the league encounters and Hill Celtic, the Lawson Cup tie, the teams were very familiar with one another and the opening stages of the game were tight with both sides probing each other.
In the 19th minute Newport were awarded a free kick when James Lynch was fouled 30 yards from goal. Christy Doyle stepped up to take the free-kick and fired home from with a well-struck shot, which beat Robert Power in the Hill Celtic goal, whose cause was not helped by a glaring sun
Celtic responded immediately and within three minutes they were awarded a free kick on the right hand side of the box and Pat Boyle’s effort took a superb save from Harry Ryan to deny the City side an equaliser.
Hill Celtic stepped up the pressure on the Newport goal. In the 25th minute Newport managed to escape a goalmouth scramble from a corner and two minutes later they flashed in a dangerous low cross the box but there was no one was on hand to finish.
Hill Celtic continued to dominate possession and push forward but the Newport rearguard, superbly marshaled by Christy O'Connor & Elliott Slattery soaked up the pressure but on the stroke of half-time, it took another brilliant point-blank save from Aaron Dawson by Harry Ryan to keep Newport ahead.
The early stages of second half saw Hill Celtic continuing to dominate possession and again it was the Newport keeper who was being kept busy pulling off two more good saves from Ken Nealon and Dean Mitchell.
In the final quarter of the game, Hill Celtic had to push out more from the back as they went in search of a goal and this led to the game being more open and Newport were beginning to create some chances.
The last 15 minutes of the game were very tense for both sets of supporters with both sides coming close on a number of occasions.
In the 90th minute, Hill Celtic had a shot that looked destined for the top corner but it just grazed the top of the crossbar much to the relief of the Tipperary side and their supporters.
Two minutes into injury time, Christy Doyle pounced again to ensure the Newport victory. Captain, Brian O’Sullivan, broke away and released Doyle with a perfect pass and the Leagues top scorer made no mistake superbly dispatching a low shot into the far corner for his 40th goal of the season.
Hill Celtic will feel that their efforts and performance deserved more from the game but credit has to go to Newport for taking their chances and defending superbly throughout the game.

Newport; Harry Ryan, James Lynch, Mark McGuire, Elliot Slattery, Christy O'Connor, David Ryan, Kevin Connolly, Peter O'Sullivan, Sean Ryan, Brian O'Sullivan, Christy Doyle, Subs; Paul Ryan, Dave Kennedy, Jimmy Fyffe, Kevin O'Brien, Darren Collins, Jack Noble
Hill Celtic; Robert Power, Jamie Leahy, David Corbett, Daniel Sheehan, Adrian Mitchell, Patrick Boyle, Michael Lipper, Ken Nelson, Alex Purcell, Dean Mitchell, Aaron Dawson, Subs John Corbett, Lee Reddan, Hayden Johnson, John Mitchell, Evan Doran

Under 17 Div One Cup Final

Fairview Rgs 3
Aisling Annacotty 2

Fairview Rgs completed the Under 17 Division One League and Cup double with a 3-2 won over arch rivals Aisling at local Headquarters in midweek.
In the vein of all the finals in Jackman Park this week, an exciting finale ensued after Aisling pulled back a couple of late goals after falling 3-0 down.
The game was evenly poised when Eoin Duff broke the deadlock latching onto Zak Sheehans through ball to fire home.
Aisling were finding it difficult to find their danger-man Caimin Ayers with Scott Kirwin and James Collopy mopping up, limiting their main threat to the mazy runs of Ronan O’Dwyer.
After the break Dean McNamara cut in off the right wing to fire past Sean Hamm to double Fairview’s advantage.
Minutes later it looked all over when the impressive Zak Sheehan bagged number three for the champions.
To their credit Aisling didn't give up and pulled one back through Ayers.
When the Aisling front man scored a second we thought “here we go again” but Fairview tightened up and held out for victory.

Fairview Rgs: Andrew Kearns; Victor Oyedeji; Josh Shinnors; James Collopy; Scott Kirwin; James O'Connor; Dean McNamara; Shay McCarthy; Eoin Duff; Jack Foley; Zak Sheehan, Subs: Ethan O'Sullivan; Kuda Sheehan; Sean Oyibo; James Fitzgerald, Gary O'Halloran

Aisling Annacotty: Sean Hamm; Ger Quaid; Ciaran Fitzgerald; Cian Lynch; Eoin Madigan; Paul Brennan; Conor Arthur; Caimin Ayers; Ronan O'Dwyer; Joey Ryan; Killian O'Shea, Subs: Chris Nwankwo; Jack O'Connor; Conor Twomey; Jack O'Dowd; Finn Clancy; Aidan Walker

Division 3B Ingle Cup Final

Northside 1
Cappamore B 0

Promotion hopefuls Northside capture the Division 2B Ingle Cup on Sunday morning with a 1-0 win over Cappamore at Jackman Park.
Ray McMahon's first half penalty kick was all that separated the sides after 90 minutes. These sides met last week in a League game when they shared the points in a 1-1 draw. Sunday’s game was equally tight with nothing between the teams.
A prevailing high wind spoilt any real hopes of flowing football and favoured neither side.
The County side started brighter and a diving header from Eric Conroy would have opened the scoring but for a fine save from Reece McNamara in the Northside goal.
The keeper made another impressive block, going full length to keep out a free kick from Dara McKenna.
Playing into the wind, Northside were struggling to get the ball cleared, but they still found a way to take in a half time lead. A free kick on the left by Jeffery O'Donnell was headed clear but picked up by Michael O'Donnell. His shot from an acute angle was well saved by Brian Leahy but when the rebound fell to Chris Lynch, his shot was adjudged to have been blocked by a defenders hand.
The experienced Ray McMahon took on the responsibility for the spot kick and duly tucked it away.
After the break Cappamore continued to press for an equaliser but were having little luck.
When McNamara got stranded from his goal, Uiche Manjor tried a clever shot that dropped just over the top and another McKenna free kick forced another good save from McNamara.

Northside: Reece McNamara; Anthony Mason; Rob Kerley; Chris Lynch; Paul Goodman; Jeff O'Donnell; Simon Keating; Gary Ryan; Ray McMahon; Ken Griffin; Michael O'Donnell. Subs: Eoghan Conway; Luke McMahon; Niall Counihan; Tim Hogan; Frank Daly

Cappamore B: Brian Leahy; Josh Quinn; Dave Madden; John Barrett; Uiche Manjor; Peter Laffan; Dara McKenna; Joe Lonergan; Denis Leonard; Eric Conroy; Pat Byrnes.
Subs: Will Ryan; Jordon Ryan; William Birrane; Brian O'Leary; Kieran Hanley; Shane Murphy; Aaron Daly

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.