SLIDESHOW: Limerick duo make it into last eight of FAI Junior Cup

Pat Sheehan


Pat Sheehan


FAI Junior Cup
Regional United 2
Tramore 1
Regional United ensured the Limerick District League will have two sides in the last eight after they produced the goods to see off Tramore in Dooradoyle on Sunday.
It was a well deserved win for the locals, who could have been out of sight of the visitors if they had taken a few first half chances but they had to settle on a couple of goals from the O’Connells, Kieran and Clyde.
As it transpired the Waterford side pulled one back to make it a testy finish but in truth the home side never really looked in any trouble.
Tramore, made up of the bulk of their FAI Youth winning side from a couple of seasons back, if they stay together will no doubt be challenging in this competition in the years to come but on this occasion they lacked the guile and strength of the home side.
Regional’s victory was engineered by honest to goodness hard work. The midfield battled for everything smothering Tramore at every opportunity and in defence once again Regional were solid and comfortable for the most part.
If Regional were in any doubt of the challenge they faced, they got a heads up early on when a snap shot by Darragh Wall forced Rob Shier full length to keep out.
There was little to separate the sides until the 28th minute. Kieran O’Connell took possession midway inside the Tramore half, put Evan Cusack away on the right and raced into the box to receive the return pass to blast the ball home from 10 yards.
The goal gave Regional breathing space and six minutes later the lead was doubled. A well worked move from the training ground saw Alan Murphy’s inch perfect corner kick flicked on by Jack Lynch and Clyde O’Connell pounced to fire home with the help of a deflection.
Just before the break Tramore showed they were not done yet when Brennan crossed for Sean Browne to narrowly miss.
Regional did not learn from that miss and shortly after the restart they were undone when Wall raced through from Eoin Nolan’s through ball to fire past Shier and make it a one goal game.
While Tramore were chasing the game the best chances fell to the home side with Donal O’Connell and Jack Lynch both blazing over from close range.
In the end the Dooradoyle side should be well please with their performance which should give them plenty of confidence against whomever they pull in next Tuesday’s draw.

Regional Utd: Rob Shier; Tom Frawley; Alan Murphy; Jack Lynch; David Cowpar; Pat McDonagh; Clyde O'Connell; Kieran O'Connell; Ross Fitzgerald; Evan Cusack; Willie Griffin. Subs: Donal O'Connell and Ian Hughes, Declan Cusack, Ewan O'Brien, Ciaran O'Reilly, Martin Madden, Kevin Walsh
Tramore: Craig Dunphy; Cian Flanagan; Conor Butler; Tom Kearney; Mike Caulfield; Eoin Nolan; Sean Browne; Sam Sheppard; Darragh Wall; Brandon Deady; Mike Brennan. Subs: Lee Kavanagh; Conor McGovern

Ballymun 0
Aisling Annacotty 1
Aisling Annacotty have reached the quarter finals of the FAI Junior Cup for the second time in their history after they defied the odds to record a superb 1-0 win away to Ballymun on Saturday afternoon.
It is 2006 since the Annacotty Club, then under the guise of ULAA, reached the last eight and hopes are high that the current crop can go even better.
Jason Lipper’s goal was the difference between the sides on a wind and rain swept Dublin venue, but the Aisling back four and goalkeeper Stephen Walsh in particular must also take huge credit in a rock solid display.
Ballymun started brightly and a long throw, a tactic the home side used to good effect throughout, was not properly dealt with by the Aisling rearguard, and the ball reached Lee Somers who headed back across goal but just over bar.
Both sides also hit the woodwork in space of two minutes. Aisling on 13 minutes when Nathan O'Callaghan and Colm O'Reilly conjured up a free kick at the edge of the box with the latter rattling the post with Bedford beaten and within two minutes at the other end another long throw from McLoughlin was headed by Somers off the top of the bar.
The Ballymun striker was a handful and he went close again when from a free kick, Dean Hayden headed on only for Somers to blast wide from 10 yards.
The second half started superbly for Aisling. Shane Donegan’s endeavour in midfield won a free kick which was swung in by Ben Banaghan and met brilliant by the in-rushing Jason Lipper who's deft header caught Bedford flat footed as it nestled in the net.
Aisling’s cause was helped somewhat six minutes later when Somers was shown a straight red for an off the ball incident.
The home side went three at the back in search for an equaliser and Owen Humphries took control of the game for the side with 10 men.
Twice Humphries created good shooting opportunities only to be denied by some excellent defending from Nathan O Callaghan.
Banaghan and Lipper created breakaway chances for Aisling but in the end the win was sealed by two superb blocks late on, Donegan getting in the way of Humphries shot from 14 yards and then keeper Stephen Walsh expertly denied Nicolas O’Brien from 10 yards.
Despite a couple of late inswinging corners and an incredible 11 minutes stoppage time Aisling held on for a well deserved win.

Ballymun; Graham Bedford, Dillon McLoughlin, Sam Dodd, Dean Hayden, Anthony Donoghue, Jordon Keaton, Keith Hanney, Keith McMahon, Lee Somers, Owen Humphries, Karl O'Reilly
Aisling Annacotty; Stephen Walsh, Kennedy N'dip, Fionn Murphy, Steven Daly, Nathan O'Callaghan, Stephen Goggin, Shane Donegan, Jason Lipper, Colm O'Reilly, Aaron Murphy, Ben Banaghan, Brian Butler, Killian Moloney, Graham Burke, and Darren Harrington, James Cleary, Ian Dore, Brian O'Connor

Inter County Youth Cup
Carlow DL 0 Limerick DL 3
The Limerick District League Youth side qualified for a home quarter final in the Inter County Youth Cup following a 3-0 win at Carlow on Saturday afternoon.
Goals from Tyrique Leamy (2) and Ewan O’Brien saw Limerick through for a comfortable win.
A 3-2 win over Galway earlier in the campaign means that Saturday’s result sees Limerick top their Group and will now be favoured with a home Quarter final.
Limerick started this game brightly and were on the front foot throughout.
If Limerick had taken their chances they could have won by a much bigger score as Leamy, Tommy Canty and Jorge Gustavo were all denied by fine saves while Ewan O’Brien also rattled the opposition crossbar with a 30 yards effort.
Just before the break Limerick goalkeeper Kevin Walsh was called into action to make a brilliant save to keep the scores level, but with Darren Collins starring in a dominant back four chances for the hosts were few and far between.
Scoreless at the break, Limerick continued to waste a number of chances after the restart but they eventually got the reward for their efforts just before the hour mark when the impressive Jamie Greaves picked out Tyrique Leamy who fired home from 12 yards.
The goal eased the tension and Limerick tacked on another five minutes later when a good ball from Tommy Canty played in Ewan O’Brien and the Regional man lobbed the ball over the advancing keeper from 20 yards.
Limerick put the icing on the cake ten minutes from time when good work by Paudie Hartigan set up Leamy who fired home from the edge of the box.

Limerick DL; Kevin Walsh, Frankie Hehir, Darren Collins, Craig Carew, Jack Noble, Jorge Gustavo, Sean Erasmus, Ewan O’Brien, Jamie Greaves, Tommy Canty, Tyrique Leamy, Subs; David O’Connell, Shay McCarthy, Paudie Hartigan, Scott Kirwin, Joe Kavanagh And Vincent Browne, Conor O’Shaughnessy, James Collopy, Anthony McNamara

Munster Junior Cup 4th Round
Pearse Celtic 1
Prospect Priory 0
Prospect Priory made their exit from the Munster Junior Cup at the hands of Pearse Celtic on Saturday afternoon in Cork.
The Limerick side were furious after the game claiming some bizarre officiating cost them a place in the next round.
Like in their abandoned game a fortnight earlier, there was little to choose between the sides in the first half but on 35 minutes from a Prospect corner the ball fell to Trevor Hogan and from 6 yards he saw his shot blocked on the line by a hand but after much deliberation between the referee and his assistant another corner was awarded.
To rub salt into the visitors wounds, ten minutes after the break Pearse were awarded a dubious penalty when Darren Glasheen was adjudged to have fouled but the home side failed to capitalise and fired wide.
On 75 minutes a second yellow saw Prospect reduced to ten men Cyril Maher saw a second yellow (justified) and Prospect we’re down to 10 men.
Worsening weather condition did not help the mood as extra time was called for.
In extra time despite being a man down Prospect went close to taking the lead but Danny Colbert was denied by a fine save from Murphy in the Celtic goal.
With three minutes remaining Keith McCarthy found himself onside despite the protestations of the Prospect line and he kept his composure to tuck away the winning score.
To top off a miserable afternoon for Prospect, they were reduced to 9 in stoppage time.

Prospect; Darren Glasheen, Dean Casey, Ian Maher, Cyril Maher, Dean Glasheen, Philip Naughton, Adrian Healy, James Cleary, Trevor Hogan, Pa Whelan, Ian Clancy, Subs, Danny Colbert, Darren Hanlon

Division 1A leaders Coonagh United suffered a surprise setback going down 1-0 to Murroe in UL on Sunday.
Ironically the only goal of the game came from Philip Clancy who had to be persuaded off the bench.
In Division 3B Northside with a 2-1 win leapfrogged Brazuca United to take second place in the table. Eoghan Conway and Ray McMahon scored for the winners.
For more Junior Soccer and all things Limerick FC see #LLSport on social media platforms.