Mixed results for Limerick sides in FAI Junior Cup as 'Boro' go clear in Premier League

Pat Sheehan


Pat Sheehan



FAI Junior Cup
Killarney Celtic 1
Regional Utd 6
Regional Utd set down a marker for the surviving teams in the FAI Junior Cup after they posted a most impressive FAI displays beating Killarney Celtic 6-1 at the Kerry venue on Saturday evening.
Make no mistake, this Killarney team are no mugs. They had played 14 games before this round, drawing one and winning 13, including a 2-1 win over Janesboro in the Munster Champions Cup.
They just could not live with the live wire Regional XI. The Limerick side had to do it the hard way after falling behind to Danny Roche’s penalty kick after 25 minutes.
While Regional of old might have succumbed, the current incarnation have a different outlook and were back on level terms within five minutes courtesy of old stalwart Kieran O’Connell.
Regional forged into the lead three minutes later through Clyde O’Connell.
Three minutes after the restart it was game over when Alan Murphy made it 3-1. With the Limerick side dominating proceedings Sean McSweeney added a fourth and two late goals from Sosuke Kimura and Pat McDonagh gave a glimpse of Regional’s attacking threat wrapping up a memorable win.
Regional Utd; Rob Shier, Tommy Frawley, Alan Murphy, Clyde O’Connell, Jack Lynch, Pa McDonagh, Kieran O’Connell, Ross Fitzgerald, Sosuke Kimura, Sean McSweeney, Willie Griffin, Subs, Evan Cusack, Declan Cusack, Ian Hughes, Martin Madden

St Kevin’s Boys 1
Pike Rovers 2
Last season’s FAI Junior Cup beaten finalists Pike Rovers left it late to progress to the last 32 when an injury time header by Jonathan Grant secured a 2-1 win at St Kevins Boys in Dublin.
Many people have tagged Pike as favourites to go a step further this season but nobody told the home side who took a breakaway lead after 16 minutes.
The ‘Hoops’ kept their composure and were back on level terms after 30 minutes. Darragh Rainsford’s cross was met by Grant but his header smacked off the crossbar before Steven McGann headed in the rebound.
The game was evenly poised when midway through the second half, Eddie O’Donovan received his marching orders.
The home side’s numerical advantage lasted only ten minutes when Jordon Cromwell also went for an early shower.
With the game in injury time and headed for extra time, Rainsford supplied another good delivery and ace poacher Grant headed in the winner from 6 yards.
A hard fought win will stand to Pike who have been breezing through games locally. Conor Kavanagh turned in another fine display for the winners.
Pike Rovers: Gary Neville; Evan Patterson; Jonathan Hannafin; Eddie O'Donovan; Adam Lipper; Darragh Rainsford; Shane Walsh; Steve McGann; Eoin Hanrahan; Conor Kavanagh; Jonathan Grant, Subs: Paddy O'Malley; Colin Daly; Wayne Colbert

Blarney Utd 0
Aisling Annacotty 4
Aisling were the first Limerick side to make it through to the last 32 of the FAI Junior Cup following a 4-0 win at Blarney Utd on Sunday afternoon.
Despite being held scoreless at half time, the Limerick side were full value for their win.
Aaron Murphy went close on a couple of occasions in the opening 45 minutes, hitting the outside of the post from long range and hitting the side netting from close range.
The half time break did the trick for the visitors as they ran riot in the second half.
Within a minute of the restart the deadlock was broken. Brian Butler picked out Jason Lipper who controlled the ball on his chest before volleying into the top corner.
Seven minutes later Aisling doubled their lead when Aaron Murphy made amends for his earlier misses when he raced onto another Butler pass before hotting a half volley to the roof of the net.
Aisling could afford the luxury of a missed penalty when Lipper’s effort was superbly saved.
It was temporary relief for the home side who conceded a third five minutes later Dylan Sheehan fed Lipper who blasted in his fifth in two games.
Lipper turned provider for the final goal when he set up strike partner Murphy for his second of the day, firing across the keeper to the far corner to complete a most satisfactory afternoons work.
Aisling Annacotty; Stephen Walsh, Kennedy N'dip, Killian Moloney, Steven Daly, Darren Harrington, Graham Bourke, Brian Butler, Shane Donegan, James Cleary, Aaron Murphy, Jason Lipper, Dylan Sheehan, Ben Banaghan, Colm O'Reilly, Jimmy Bourke, Nathan O'Callaghan

Glengad 2 Geraldines 2
(Glengad won 4-2 on pens)
It was long distance heartbreak for Geraldines on Sunday afternoon when they fell in a penalty shoot out against Donegal side Glengad.
The Limerick side travelled the six hour journey on Saturday evening and were well prepared for the tie and gave a good account of themselves against a side unbeaten at home in over three years.
Geraldines had the perfect start taking the lead after ten minutes. Dean McNamara picked out Karl Turner who cut inside his marker to fire into the top corner.
It looked like ‘Dines’ would carry the lead in at the break but in first half injury time Terrence Flaherty netted from close range from a corner kick.
The second half way a well fought affair and seemed to be heading the home side’s way ten minutes from time when Pat McDermott netted from a spot kick that earned Thomas O’Grady a second yellow card.
However with ten men, Dines staged a fine comeback with a last gasp goal. Donie Curtin’s ball was flicked on by Cian Byrnes and Shane Byrne took the ball on his chest before a swivel and shot buried the ball in the net.
Extra time failed to separate the sides but the homesters proved more accurate from the shoot out.
Geraldines: Evan Moloney; Paul Fitzgerald; Shane Cox; Thomas O'Grady; Clifton Carey; Donie Curtin; Morgan Clancy; Dean McNamara; Karl Turner; Cian Byrnes; Ian O'Donoghue, Subs:Shane Byrne; Bobby Tier; Paul Campbell

Newport 2 Carbury FC 2 (Newport won 4-3 on pens)
Division 1B side Newport recorded a memorable win beating Sligo Premier side Carbury FC in a penalty shootout after the sides finished 2-2.
Newport’s success was even sweeter when one considers they came from behind on two occasions to take the tie to extra time.
In the penalty shootout former Limerick keeper Jimmy Fyffe proved his worth with two saves to sway the tie in Newport's favour.
A huge crowd turned out to cheer on the home side and the side responded with Dave Ryan hitting the post inside two minutes.
The visitors put a damper on things when Gary Finnan netted to put Carbury in front but just before the break Brian O’Sullivan crossed for Christy Doyle to head in the equaliser.
After the restart Carbury regained the lead through Mark McGoldrick and it looked like it might suffice until the final few minutes when Sean Ryan rose above the defence to head in Peter O’Sullivan’s cross.
Extra time failed to separate the sides so Mark Barry’s side will now deservedly take their place in the hat for the last 32 draw.
Newport; Jimmy Fyffe, Kevin O'Brien, Mark McGuire, Elliot Slattery, Christy Connors, Peter O'Sullivan, David Ryan, Sean Ryan, Brian O'Sullivan, Christy Doyle, Darren Collins, Subs; Dave Kennedy, Kalem Harte, Devlin Courtney, James Lynch, Nathan Hartigan

Premier League

Janesboro 1
Ballynanty Rvs 0
Premier League champions Janesboro opened up a four point lead over the chasing pack after Sunday’s win over Ballynanty Rvs.
A fortuitous goal in the opening few minutes proved the difference between the sides and in truth the game was a pedestrian affair for the most part, with passing football at a premium.
The win will delight Shane O’Hanlon and Aidan Ryan but the result hides a totally flat performance that saw ‘Boro go nearly 90 minutes without creating a chance of note.
For their part Balla showed more adventure albeit with the intention of getting back on level terms, but overall, neither side will remember the tie positively.
The deadlock was broken after five minutes when a good run by Adrian Power saw the wide man let fly from an acute angle. Balla keeper Darren Whelan made a fine block but in attempting to gather only knocked the ball over the line.
That was the last time the Balla net minder was called into action.
Balla went close to an equaliser midway through the opening half when Eddie Byrnes effort was cleared off the line by Thomas Clarke.
The same player had another effort cleared off the line before the break when John Mulready uncharacteristically dropped a ball into the path of the Balla man but on this occasion Ryan Doherty cleared his lines.
The visitors continued to press the game after the restart and can feel aggrieved that Kevin Nolan’s goal disallowed after he pounced on Danny O’Neill’s back pass.
On a rare threat on the Balla goal, Shane Clarke’s superb crossfield ball picked out the inrunning Adrian Power but the ball bobbled at the crucial moment and his effort flew over the top.
Within seconds Balla went within a whisker of equalising when Byrnes headed goal ward but Dara Hughes racing in at the back post was unable to score a goal that would have been well deserved.
With Thomas Clarke and Ryan Doherty showing strongly in the closing minutes the home side held on for a vital win.
Janesboro: John Mulready; Lee O'Mara; Aled Harkin; Tom Clarke; Ryan O'Doherty; Danny O'Neill; Mike Ryan; Niall Hanley; Adrian Power; Shane Clarke; Jeffery Judge. Subs:Evan Lynch
Ballynanty Rovers: Darren Whelan; Dara Hughes; Dan Lucey; Ken Meehan; Shane Guerin; Michael Guerin; Jason Hughes; Keith Colbert; Arron Nunan; Kevin Nolan; Eddie Byrnes. Subs :Derek Daly; Kevin Forde

Fairview Rgs 12
Carew Park 0
Once again a very young Carew Park XI took a pounding. This weekend Fairview ran in double figures. Again it takes courage and pride to take the field knowing you are facing a beating and these Carew Park lads are doing it to keep the club going and deserve credit. Robbie Kelleher scored five, Ross Mann four and Paul Danaher, Thomas Byrnes and Kyle Duhig completed the agony.
Fairview Rgs: Barry Ryan; Liam Byrnes; Josh Considine; Kaylan O'Loughlin; Paul Danaher; Thomas Byrnes; Conor McCormack; Adam Frahill; AJ O'Connor; Robbie Kelleher; Ross Mann. Subs; Kyle Duhig

Prospect Priory 2
Kilmallock 1
Prospect put welcome clear space between them and the two sides currently inhabiting the drop zone with a hard earned win over Kilmallock.
Goals from Cyril Maher and Danny Colbert secured the points for the home side. Paul Doona netted for Kilmallock.
Prospect Priory: Darren Glasheen; Dom Fitzgerald; Cyril Maher; Dean Glasheen; Ian Maher; Ian Clancy; Philip Naughton; Danny Colbert; James Cleary; Trevor Hogan; Pat Whelan. Subs:Dean Casey
Kilmallock: Brian Murphy; Anthony Barrett; Bennie Burke; Dave Todd; Evan Hudner; Anthony Punch; Jason Heffernan; Killian Lyons; Killian Hayes; Barry Sheedy; Aaron Costello. Subs:Paul Doona; Stephen Quirke

It was a near wipeout for local teams in the FAI Youth Cup.
With the exception of Nenagh who beat Campile 6-0, it was defeats all around.
An own goal gave Ballingarry a win over Charleville while St. Malachy’s 2 got the better of Regional 2-1 in Dublin. Paudie Hartigan scored for Regional. Despite goals from Tommy Canty and Rory O’Dwyer Aisling Annacotty fell 4-2 at home to Merview.
Moyross move back to the top of the table in Division 1A following a 2-1 win at Castle Rvs. Ronan Sherlock scored for the home side but goals from Stephen Hannon and Craig Collopy gave Moyross the points.
Mungret are second following their win at Corbally Utd. Bobby O'Mara netted for the home side but goals from Adam Storan, Kian Barry and Evan Barrett gave Mungret the win.
Fairview Rgs B kept pace with the leading group with a 2 - 1 win over Holycross. Danny McCarthy and Conor Madden scored the winning goals; Chris Browne replied while goals from Evan Walsh and Liam Quinn saw Murroe past Cappamore.
Newport beat Caherdavin in Division 2B thanks to a Tristan O’Sullivan double.
Division 3A Leaders Kilmallock consolidated their position with a 2-0 win at Knockainey. Aaron Costello and Stephen Quirke were on the mark. Dean Casey’s goal gave Prospect the points against Janesboro.
In the Open Cup Fairview Rgs C qualified for the semi final following their 2-1 win at Herbertstown.
Dan McCarthy and Shane Madden were on the mark for the winners. Goals from Keegan Park (2) and Jordon Clancy also secured a last four spot for Lisnagry while Hyde qualified for a quarter final with a 4-0 win over Kilfrush.
Adam O’Neill scored twice with Edward and Keith Keogh also getting in on the act.

For more on Limerick Sport make sure to use #LLSport on social media platforms.