SLIDESHOW: Limerick duo advance in Munster Junior Cup

Pat Sheehan


Pat Sheehan


MUNSTER JUNIOR CUP - Janesboro 5 Pearse Celtic 1
A scintillating first half display of attacking football paved the way for Janesboro to reach the quarter finals of the Munster Junior Cup following a 5-1 win over Pearse Celtic on Sunday afternoon.
A snow bound home ground forced Janesboro to transfer the tie to Annacotty but it did nothing to deter the home side who had run the opposition ragged in the opening 45 minutes. Goals from Adrian Power, Keith Mawdsley and Aaron Nunan saw them carry a three goal lead in at the break.
Stung by the way they capitulated in the opening half, Celtic showed much more bite after their half time team talk. They pulled a goal back and but for a wonderful penalty kick save by John Mulready would have pegged ‘Boro’ back further.
The penalty miss sparked Boro back into life and Shane Clarke wrapped up the tie with a well taken brace.
'Boro’ went within a whisker of taking a lead inside five minutes when Shane Clarke flicked on for Aidan Hurley who guided the ball inches wide.
Mawdsley was denied by a brave block by Keith O'Sullivan and minutes later, following a foul on Aaron Nunan, Hurley delivered into the area and Thomas Clarke powered a header just outside the post.
A rasping 25 yard drive by Mike Ryan missed narrowly and the pressure finally told minutes later.
Hurley's ball from right back sailed over the head of the Cork defence and Mawdsley touched on into the path of Adrian Power who side footed home from eight yards.
The lead was doubled with a superb flowing move. Started when John Tierney won a loose ball the play went from defence to attack, ending with Clarke pulling the ball back for Power who repaid the favour, setting up Mawdsley to score.
Things looked even rosier five minutes from the break when Mawdsley's ball into the centre saw Shane Clarke hold up play awaiting the run of Aaron Nunan, and a perfectly timed release saw the ‘Boro’ wide man score a fine goal.
After the restart Eric Hayes pulled one back and minutes later the visitors were awarded a spot kick by John Spillane's effort saw Mulready go full length to turn away.
With the visitors sensing they might sneak their way back into the tie, they were struck by a moment of class when the ball fell to Clarke in the area. The striker kept cool to calmly lob the keeper and kill off the challenge.
With 15 minutes to play Clarke scored his second to complete 'Boro's tally.
A home quarter final versus Peake Villa is Boro's reward.
Janesboro: John Mulready; Aidan Hurley; Steven Bradley; Tom Clarke; Arron Nunan; Mike Ryan; Niall Hanley; John Tierney; Adrian Power; Shane Clarke; Keith Mawdsley. Subs not used: Aled Harkin; Danny O'Neill; Donie Curtin; Kevin Murphy; Ben Quirke
Pearse Celtic; Brendan Keating, John Paul Murphy, Danny Langford, Keith O'Sullivan, Danny Flanagan, Connie Murphy, Ger O'Connell, Gavin Pender, Leonard Sexton, John Spillane, Ben Halpin, Subs; Wayne Cotter, Eric Hayes, Darren Cotter

Sporting Ennistymon 3  Pike Rovers 7
Munster Junior Cup holders Pike Rovers eased into the last eight of this season's tournament with a 7-3 win over Sporting Ennistymon in Kilfrush on Sunday afternoon.
The score line suggests a closer affair but Pike raced into a 6-0 half time lead and the second half proved more a formality.
Pike took just five minutes to get off the mark firing in a left foot shot.
Seven minutes later Eoin Hanrahan got on the end of Wayne O'Donovan's cross to double the lead and the same player made it 3-0 on 17 minutes firing in a shot from the edge of the area.
Hanrahan completed his hat trick midway through the half following a good delivery from Eddie O'Donovan.
A double from Paddy O'Malley before half time turned the tie into a cake walk.
To their credit the home side showed great courage after the restart and scored three goals without reply to put a respectable slant on proceedings.
Steve McGann had the final say for Pike when he scored from O'Malley's cross to send Pike through where they await the winners of Carrick B, St John Bosco or Hill Celtic.
Pike Rovers: Gary Neville; Wayne O'Donovan; Eddie O'Donovan; Pat Mullins; Wayne Colbert; Steve McGann; Darragh Carroll; Paddy O'Malley; Dave Ryan; Eoin Hanrahan; Colin Daly. Subs: Kyle Duhig; Ronan Cahill

Lawson Cup - Athlunkard Villa 2  Kilmallock 3
As always, when a team faces an away trip to play Athlunkard Villa, they know they are in for a rough ride.
Sunday proved no different when Premier side Kilmallock travelled in to take on the Division 1B side in the Lawson Cup. After a thrilling encounter the visitors scraped through by the odd goal in five.
With a carpet of snow covering the pitch, both teams must be complimented on their performance in trying conditions.
The Premier side looked more likely to score earlier on when they had efforts by Tommy Heffernan and Benny Burke well saved by Villa's 'keeper Alan Jennings. Anthony Punch also worked his way in along the end line but was denied by the legs of the net minder.
Villa began to play their way into the game as the half wore on and Stephen Carmody broke away but fired across goal and wide of the far post. Kevin Shaughnessy was denied by a fine save from Charlie O'Shea while the last action of the half saw Darren Roche make a goal saving block on to deny the visitor's Killian Hayes.
Villa continued on the front foot after the restart and got their reward within eight minutes.
Stephen Carmody's speed set him free down the right from a through ball from Seamus Finucane and he ran 30 yards before chipping from a near impossible angle to open the scoring.
Five minutes later Villa doubled their lead when the pace of Manni Ajuong took him away from the defence to fire past O'Shea.
Kilmallock's experience ensured they didn't panic and on the hour mark they pulled one back when Dave Todd pounced when Villa failed to clear.
Todd was to the fore again ten minutes later when he fired in the equaliser.
With extra time looming Killian Hayes popped up to volley in a fine goal to complete a memorable comeback for the visitors.
Athlunkard Villa: Alan Jennings, Darren Roche, Kevin O'Shaughnessy, Ray Kerley, Jamie Kerley, Alan Colbert, Manni Ajuong, Seamus Finucane, Christian Kerley, Dermot McNamara, Stephen Carmody, Subs; Donal O'Keeffe, Keith Blake, Seamus McCarthy, Eoin O'Riordan
Kilmallock: Charlie O'Shea; Niall Burchill; Kieran Stubbins; Dave Todd; Bennie Burke; Derek McCarthy; Killian Hayes; Anthony Punch; Jason Heffernan; Tommy Heffernan; Dermot McCarthy. Subs: Evan Mulcahy; Paul Doona; Mike Collins

Aisling Annacotty 5  Abbey Rvs 0
Some tireless work by the Aisling ground staff ensured this game took place and the players made it worthwhile for the club with a comfortable 5-0 win.
Aisling started well and Sosuke Kimura broke the deadlock with a lovely finish across the keeper after beating two players.
Damien Collins scored a towering near post header from an Oisin Kelly free kick just in half time to double the lead.
After the break Sosuke grabbed his second before Niall Smith stole the show with a neat finish from 18yards and a stunning 35yard stroke that gave the Abbey goalkeeper no chance.
Aisling Annacotty: Stephen Walsh; Evan O'Connor; Dion Lynch; Patrick Stanisewski; Damien Collins; Colm Murphy; Chimka Manjor; Brian Butler; Oisin Kelly; Byron Fitzgerald; Sosuke Kimura. Subs: Shane Donegan; Niall Smith; Kennedy N'dip; John Lysaght

Carew Park 5  Glenview Rvs 3
Carew Park were made to work extremely hard to see off a dogged challenge by Division 2A side Glenview before progressing in the Lawson Cup.
John Connery put Carew Park ahead after ten minutes but the visitors were back on terms ten minutes later when Sean Keane struck a superb goal.
Midway through the half Alex Purcell restored the home advance and ten minutes from the break man of the match Darragh Rainsford made it 3-1.
When Jonathan Grant tacked on a fourth ten minutes after the break it looked like it was game over.
However a spirited fightback saw Glenview score two cracking drives to cut the deficit to one.
John Connery eased the nerves when he netted a fifth for Carew 15 minutes from time.
Carew Park: David Quinn; Jamie O'Sullivan; Jon Somers; Adam Frahill; Keegan Park; Alex Purcell; Darragh Rainsford; Pat Boyle; John Connery; Jonathan Grant; Jamie Kelly. Subs: Jamie Enright; Jamie Stewart
Glenview Rvs: Paul Butler, Barry Walsh, Steve Kilcoyne, Mike O Brien, Aidan O Driscoll, Sean Dooley, Barry Butler, Daniel McGuire, John McDonagh, Sean Keane, Dean Hogan, Subs, Shane Garry, Pat Carroll, James Moynihan, Cathal O Neill And Tadhg O Riordan.

Limerick's Inter County Youth side bowed out of this season's competition when they were beaten 4-1 by their Galway counterparts on Saturday. Dylan O'Neill scored the Limerick goal.
Granville progress in the Lawson Cup following a 3-1 win over Parkville. Pat Whelan, Colin O'Gorman and Alan Sheehan scored for the winners; Pat O'Donoghue replied for Parkville.
In the Open Cup, Weston Villa reached the semi finals with a 2-0 win over Hyde Rgs B. Former Hyde star Pat O'Donoghue scored both goals for Weston.
Kennedy Park opened up a seven point lead in Division 2B with a 4-2 win over Holycross B. A hat trick from Stephen McNamara and one from Brian Muldoon sealed the win. Jonathan Cosgrave and AJ Moloney replied for 'Cross.
On Saturday evening Athlunkard Villa B beat Aisling with scores from Olatz Olaskaogo, Tom Joyce and Liam O'Reilly.
Evan Barrett scored the only goal of the game in the Under 17's as Mungret Reg just edged out rivals Regional Utd.