May 25

Martin Naughton 087-

Reporter:

Martin Naughton 087-

UNVEILING OF MICK MACKEY STATUE: There was a huge attendance at the unveiling of a statue to honour Castleconnell GAA legend, Mick Mackey, on Sunday last, to mark the centenary of his birth. People travelled from all over to witness this spectacular event. Proceedings started with a parade through the Village by members of Ahane Bord na nOg accompanied by Boherbuoy Brass and Reed Band. Chairman of Ahane GAA Club, Turlough Herbert, gave a glowing account in his tribute to Mick. Special guests were the Mackey family, Liam O’Neill, GAA president, who performed the unveiling of the statue; former RTE brodcaster, Micheál Ó Muircheartaig and Paddy Mackey, son of Mick also spoke at the ceremony. The site of the statue in Castle Street, is just a stones throw from where Mick Mackey grew up and played hurling on the street. Clare-based sculptor Seamus Connolly, was commissioned for the statue which depicts the Limerick hurler in a characteristic solo-run pose.

UNVEILING OF MICK MACKEY STATUE: There was a huge attendance at the unveiling of a statue to honour Castleconnell GAA legend, Mick Mackey, on Sunday last, to mark the centenary of his birth. People travelled from all over to witness this spectacular event. Proceedings started with a parade through the Village by members of Ahane Bord na nOg accompanied by Boherbuoy Brass and Reed Band. Chairman of Ahane GAA Club, Turlough Herbert, gave a glowing account in his tribute to Mick. Special guests were the Mackey family, Liam O’Neill, GAA president, who performed the unveiling of the statue; former RTE brodcaster, Micheál Ó Muircheartaig and Paddy Mackey, son of Mick also spoke at the ceremony. The site of the statue in Castle Street, is just a stones throw from where Mick Mackey grew up and played hurling on the street. Clare-based sculptor Seamus Connolly, was commissioned for the statue which depicts the Limerick hurler in a characteristic solo-run pose.

ECUMENICAL SERVICE OF CELEBRATION AND THANKSGIVING A GREAT SUCCESS: The Church of Ireland clergy and parishioners celebrated the anniversary of 1,600 years of continuous Christian worship in All Saints Church, Stradbally recently. The Church was packed to capacity with Church of Ireland and Roman Catholic clergy who were joined by their respective parishioners to mark this historic occasion.

Bishop of Limerick and Killaloe, The Right Reverend Trevor R. Williams, who preached on the occasion said: “What we are doing here today, links us to those down the centuries who were doing the very same thing, coming together in this place to worship together as a Christian community.”

In the 12th Century the village was moved from Stradbally to its present site after the Normans built Castleconnell Castle for the protection it offered.

But the church remained in Stradbally with the villagers continuing to walk up each Sunday and holy day.

The ruins that stand behind All Saints date from 1400-1410, and was part of a wave of new church building. In 1765, it fell into disrepair and had to be abandoned.

In 1809, the present All Saints Church was completed and has continued as a centre of worship since.

The history of the this Church was remembered at the event attended by parish priest, Rev. Fr Brendan Kyne; local young priest, Rev. Fr Ger Fitzgerald; Canon Donough O’Malley; Abbot of Glenstal, Rev. Fr. Mark Patrick Hederman; Dean of Limerick, and Rector of St Michael’s Church, Sandra Pragnell, and Reverend Stan Evans.

The choir from St Mary’s Cathedral and Janet Harbison provided the music.

Pupils from fifth class in Castleconnell National School gave their rendition of St Patrick’s Breastplate. While Sunday school children, under the guidance of well-known artist, Barbara Hartigan, created a mural for the occasion.

Great credit is due to the ecumenical committee who spent five month planning this day: Edward Richardson, Peggy Tyrell, Rita Harris and local author and historian, Mary A Moloney.

All Saints Church will be opening its doors to the public from Sunday, June 9 to the last Sunday in August. All are welcome to view this historic gem which is located just walking distance from the beautiful village of Castleconnell with its hotel, pubs, and scenic walks. An ideal day out for all the family.

FRANCISCAN MISSIONARY SISTERS VISIT PARISH CHURCHES: Sisters representing the Franciscan missionary order to Africa will speak at all Masses in the parish on Sunday next. “We welcome the Franciscan Sisters to the parish, and wish them every blessing and success in their work to the poor and needy.

PILGRIMAGE TO KNOCK: The Diocesan pilgrimage to Knock has been arranged for Sunday, July 7. Parishioners wishing to go to Knock by bus can contact: Ennis and Clare: Glynns Coaches at 065-6828234, or Shannon/East Clare: PK Travel at 061-471111/087-9539000.

THANKS: Ahane girls football would like to thank everyone who supported and contributed so generously to their recent churchgate collection.

AHANE CAMOGIE CLUB SAY THANKS: The Club would like to thank everyone who contributed and supported their cake sale and raffle, in aid of their under-14 Feile team for this season.