A SELF-confessed heroin addict who is accused of stealing cash from the Childline Services offices on Christmas Day has been refused bail.
Michael Desmond, aged 32, of St Munchin’s Street is accused of breaking into the offices of Childline Services on O’Connell Street and stealing a quantity of “petty cash” on December 25, last.
Mr Desmond, who first appeared before a special court sitting on New Year’s Day, is also accused of committing several other theft offences, which are alleged to have happened during Christmas week.
He is charged with stealing a wallet, containing €150 in cash, from the Boutique Hotel, Denmark Street on December 20 as well as €300 in cash from Aubars, Thomas Street on Christmas Eve.
Mr Desmond is also accused of breaking into the Mejana Restaurant on Thomas Street on December 23, 2013 as well as House Pizza, Sexton Street North on December 11.
Opposing a bail application, made by solicitor Sarah Ryan, Garda Barry Manton said the accused man had been identified on CCTV and had made “admissions of assistance to gardai” following his arrest.
He said gardai have concerns, Mr Desmond will commit further crimes, if released, in order to feed his heroin habit.
“He is in receipt of social welfare and has no other means of supporting his addiction,” he said.
Garda Manton added that investigating gardai envisage that the case will ultimately be dealt with in the Circuit Court, where a maximum sentence of 14 years imprisonment applies.
In his evidence, Mr Desmond said he would make efforts to give up drugs if released. “I’ll go straight to Slainte, I serious intend to address my issues and I’ll stay out of trouble,” he said.
The defendant told Judge Eugene O’Kelly he would obey any bail conditions imposed by the court if released including staying out of the city centre and signing on twice a day.
However, after hearing details of the garda objection, Judge O’Kelly said he was not willing to grant bail.
“I’m satisfied he is a chronic heroin addict and I must balance his right to bail with the right of the public to be protected and there is a danger he will reoffend,” said the judge.
Sgt Donal Cronin said a file is being prepared in the matter and he requested an adjournment of the case.
Mr Desmond was remanded in custody until January 14, next.