DCSIMG

Key witnesses set for Roy Collins trial

Wayne Dundon has pleaded not guilty to murdering Roy Collins

Wayne Dundon has pleaded not guilty to murdering Roy Collins

THE trial of two Limerick men accused of murdering Roy Collins is expected to resume this Tuesday despite the sudden death of one of their mothers.

Wayne Dundon, aged 36, of Lenihan Avenue, Prospect and Nathan Killeen, aged 24, of Hyde Road, Prospect have both pleaded not guilty to murdering Mr Collins, 35, at the Coin Castle amusements arcade on April 9, 2009.

The non-jury Special Criminal Court has heard it is the prosecution case that his father - businessman Steve Collins - was the intended target of the killers.

Opening the trial, Michael O’Higgins SC, prosecuting, said it will be alleged that both men were involved in a common design and joint enterprise, which resulted in the killing of Roy Collins.

It is alleged that Mr Dundon was “designer and director” of the murder from his cell in Wheatfield prison and that Mr Killeen was the driver of the getaway car.

The gunman - James Dillon - is currently serving a life sentence and Mr O’Higgins said he would not trouble the court during the trial, which is expected to last several weeks.

The three judges - Ms Justice Iseult O’Malley, sitting with Judge Margaret Heneghan and Judge Ann Ryan - were told the State intends offering evidence from a number of key witnesses during the trial.

These include Gareth Keogh-Collins, his sisters Lisa and April as well as Anthony “Noddy” McCarthy and his brother Christopher McCarthy.

Mr O’Higgins said he expects that Gareth Keogh-Collins will testify that he was asked to be the driver (of the getaway car) and was offered up to €20,000 and heroin to “whack Steve Collins” , but that he refused to get involved.

Mr O’Higgins said evidence will be given by Anthony “Noddy” McCarthy, who is serving life in prison for the murder of Kieran Keane, that he overheard Wayne Dundon on the phone to James Dillon on the morning of the murder.

Meanwhile, gardai have ruled out foul play following the death of Nathan Killeen’s mother, Susan, last week.

The body of Ms Killeen, 55, was removed from the canal near Locke Quay in the early hours of last Friday morning a short time after gardai were alerted to a woman in distress.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page