DCSIMG

Electrician lost sight in eye following row outside Limerick nightclub

Patrick Moss suffered a serious head injury during a fight outside the former Trinity Rooms nightclub in Limerick almost three years ago

Patrick Moss suffered a serious head injury during a fight outside the former Trinity Rooms nightclub in Limerick almost three years ago

 

AN offer of €7,000 compensation, which was offered to a man who lost his sight in one eye following a fight over a Facebook posting was rejected with lawyers describing it as “derisory”.

Patrick Moss (24), from County Tipperary, suffered a serious head injury during a fight outside the Trinity Rooms nightclub in Limerick almost three years ago.

Last year, Francis Doherty aged 22, of Lough Lower, Cahir, County Tipperary pleaded guilty to assaulting Mr Moss causing him harm at Bank Place, on May 20,2011.

During a sentencing hearing, Limerick Circuit Court was told both men were “ejected” by security from the nightclub prior to the incident after they had an altercation in the smoking area.

Anthony Sammon SC, representing Mr Doherty, told the court something which was posted on Facebook had “really upset” his client and that the posting had added to the bad blood between the two men.

He said his client, a qualified electrician, was “utterly remorseful” for what had happened and had raised €7,000 in compensation

John O’Sullivan BL, prosecuting, said the victim, who was a trainee electrician at time, had gone to Limerick for a night out with some friends when he was confronted by the defendant.

He said Doherty started talking about an incident that had occurred between the two men in Cahir 18 months earlier and Mr Moss had told him to stop.

The court heard the last thing the 24-year-old remembers was being punched in the face by Doherty outside the nightclub.

Three of his teeth were knocked out during the assault, he suffered cuts and bruises, a fractured elbow and an injury to his left eye that has resulted in loss of sight.

During a review of the case this week, Mr O’Sullivan said the real question would be whether or not the victim would able to work on big building sites.

He said it was a matter of common sense that any large employer “wouldn’t allow a one eyed man onto a big site”.

Mr O’Sullivan said Mr Moss had suffered a catastrophic injury and described the offer of €7,000 towards as “derisory” and said this figure was inadequate.

Anthony Sammon insisted the offer was never intended to be the total amount of compensation and he requested a further adjournment of the case to allow him raise additional monies.

He said his client, who had no previous convictions, was now a qualified electrician but that “earnings in that trade are now on floor”.

Mr Sammon said the 22 year old does not come from a wealthy background but he has a job in Dublin and has offered to give the victim €200 a month.

Mr Sammon described the offer as a “holding operation” until a realistic proposal can be put forward.

Judge Carroll Moran adjourned the case until July 29, next.

He also directed that the €7,000 already raised be paid to Mr Moss immediately..

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page