Convicted Limerick murderer says Wayne Dundon ordered Collins’ hit

Anthony 'Noddy' McCarthy

Anthony 'Noddy' McCarthy


A CONVICTED murderer has told the Special Criminal Court that Wayne Dundon told him he ordered the murder of Roy Collins in 2009, while they were both incarcerated in Wheatfield Prison.

Anthony ‘Noddy’ McCarthy, who has served 11 years of a life sentence for the murder of Limerick crime boss Kieran Keane, told the non-jury trial this Wednesday that he heard his first cousin, Wayne Dundon “shouting, roaring and screaming” from his cell on the morning of the shooting on April 9, 2009.

Wayne Dundon, 36, of Lenihan Avenue, Prospect and Nathan Killeen, 24, of Hyde Road, Prospect, have pleaded not guilty to the murder of the 35-year-old Roy Collins at Coin Castle Amusements, Roxboro Road Shopping Centre.

In the witness box, McCarthy, 32, claimed that he heard Dundon speaking to someone on the phone on the morning of the shooting and say: ‘You better do this. You never did nothing for the family before. If you don’t do this, you and your mother will be sorry’.

He said Dundon was “hyper” that morning, and he asked him “what’s the story?”

“He told me he ordered James Dillon to go and kill Roy Collins.

“I said he shouldn’t talk to James as he’s only a young fella and he’s not into violence.”

James Dillon was sentenced to life in prison in 2010 for the murder of Roy Collins, while it is now the prosecution’s case that Wayne Dundon ordered the murder from prison, and that Nathan Killeen was the getaway driver.

However, the defence has suggested that McCarthy must have been “psychic” as every other witness in the case has said that publican Steve Collins was the intended target and not his son.

McCarthy, formerly of the Fairgreen, said at the time a number of prisoners were in talks with the Regeneration agencies in Limerick city “to end the feud”, and wanted to discourage Dundon from ordering the shooting.

He was later in lock-down in his cell 9G from 12 noon to 2pm, and claimed he was “trying to figure out ways to try and stop it [the murder]”.

However, he said he thought the shooting could have been in a week’s time, rather than on that day.

He told the court he wanted to talk to Dessie Dundon, brother of the accused, who was also serving a sentence in Wheatfield prison, and urge him to get Wayne Dundon to call off the shooting, especially as it followed the murder of another innocent man Shane Geoghegan in Kilteragh, Dooradoyle in November 2008.

McCarthy said he knew there would be “an even bigger outcry” from the public following this murder.

McCarthy said he met Wayne Dundon on the landing after being released from his cell, and mentioned a man being shot in the leg, to which Dundon allegedly replied: “He’s dead”.

He also claimed Dundon said: “That f***ing muppet Gareth Collins wouldn’t drive the car”.

Gareth Collins earlier gave evidence in the case and claimed he was offered €20,000 to take part in the killing of publican Steve Collins, the father of Roy Collins.

McCarthy wrote a handwritten letter to gardai on April 5, 20011, and made a statement to gardai on September 9, 2013.

McCarthy is still unsuccessfully appealing his conviction for the murder of crime boss Kieran Keane in 2003, and said he plans to take it to the European Courts of Human Rights, which he said is his “last resort”.

The trial continues.


Back to the top of the page