DCSIMG

Book of evidence in triple rape case is ‘not ready’

Newcastle West Court (LL)

Newcastle West Court (LL)

  • by Gerard Fitzgibbon
 

THE BOOK of evidence in the case of a man accused with raping a woman on three separate occasions in Adare last summer is not yet completed, a court has heard.

At Newcastle West Court last Thursday Insp Paul Reidy requested an adjournment of the case against the man, who cannot be named for legal reasons.

The accused is alleged to have raped a woman three times and sexually assaulted her once on dates in July and August last year.

Insp Reidy told the court that the book of evidence in the case “is not ready”, and requested an adjournment until January.

He said that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has already indicated that the case should be sent forward for trial at the Central Criminal Court.

Solicitor Turlough Herbert, defending, said that he would consent to the adjournment if the State provides a guarantee that the book is ready in January.

Judge Mary Larkin acceded to the State’s request and adjourned the case until January 24, but said that on that date “the book of evidence needs to be ready”.

The accused was further remanded on the same bail terms he received at his last court appearance in September, namely that he must sign on at a County Limerick garda station twice a week, and must make no contact with the injured party.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page