A LIMERICK city man who is accused of raping a woman more than 30 times after abducting her has been refused bail writes David Hurley.
The defendant, who is aged 33, is accused of seven counts of falsely imprisoning the woman and raping her 34 times over the course of a week earlier this year.
He is also charged with two counts of sexually assaulting the woman and with five counts of assaulting her causing her harm.
All of the offences are alleged to have happened at locations in Limerick city on dates between May 3 and May 9, last.
During a lengthy bail hearing at Limerick Court yesterday afternoon, Detective Garda Keith Harmon said the alleged injured party had made a lengthy statement of complaint to gardai on May 10, last.
Opposing a bail application made by solicitor John Devane he said the defendant faces a sentence of up to life imprisonment if convicted.
Referring to the fact that the accused man had been arrested in Dublin, he said he had concerns he would not stand trial granted bail.
It is alleged the woman, who is from the southside of the city, was “pulled from a taxi” on May 3, last by a number of men who bundled her into another vehicle before taking her to a flat near the city centre.
All of the rape offences are alleged to have happened at this address while the woman was allegedly being held against her will.
It is further alleged that she was assaulted at two other locations in the city and that on one occasion she was “severely injured” when she was beaten across the legs with a shovel.
Following yesterday’s lengthy bail application, Judge Eugene O’Kelly said he was not satisfied to grant bail given the nature of the garda concerns.
The defendant was remanded in custody and is due to appear before the court again via video link on September 24, next.
Two other men are also currently before the courts after they were previously charged with falsely imprisoning the same woman.