THE dates have now been set for the trial of the two men charged with shooting and robbing Garda Brian Hanrahan when he was on holiday in New Orleans earlier this year.
The men are charged with attempted second degree murder and armed robbery during an incident in the early hours of January 27.
At the time, Garda Hanrahan, who is from Co Tipperary but who is stationed in Newcastle West, was on a surprise 30th birthday trip to New Orleans with his father, Brian Snr.
During the incident on January 27, Garda Hanrahan was shot twice, once in the leg and once in the lower back. He underwent surgery in New Orleans to remove a bullet from his lower back and remained in the US for several weeks before being cleared to travel home to Newcastle West.
He has since been recuperating there in the home he shares with his wife Emma and daughter Mia.
Police investigating the attack on Garda Hanrahan released CCTV footage of the area as well as photo-fits of his alleged attackers. They appealed for information and posted a reward and later arrested two brothers, Melvin Galle Jnr, 41, and Keith M Galle, 34 at separate times. The two will now be tried.
At a hearing in New Orleans earlier this week, Assistant District Attorney Robert Ferrier, who is prosecuting the Galle brothers, announced the accused would be tried separately.
Melvin Galle’s trial is due to begin on October 6 while Keith Galle’s trial has been scheduled for October 20 .
The decision to have separate trials comes after Melvin Galle implicated his brother Keith in the alleged shooting. The two brothers have offered conflicting evidence.
It is understood that Garda Hanrahan told New Orleans police he had been drinking with Melvin Galle and had taken out the money to purchase more alcohol. After the shooting, he said two men rummaged through his pockets as he lay seriously injured.
Melvin Galle’s representative Amanda Fraser contested the accuracy of Garda Hanrahan’s account.