Limerick girls sexually assaulted on the Luas

Sonya McLean

Reporter:

Sonya McLean

Two Limerick girls were sexually assaulted while travelling on the Luas to a Rihanna concert
TWO teenage girls who travelled from Limerick to Dublin for a Rihanna concert at the O2 were targeted by a convicted sex offender as they travelled on the Luas.

TWO teenage girls who travelled from Limerick to Dublin for a Rihanna concert at the O2 were targeted by a convicted sex offender as they travelled on the Luas.

John Daly aged 53, of Cabra Park, Phibsboro in Dublin has pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting the girls, who were aged 13 and 16, on October 3, 2011.

Dublin Circuit Court heard the girls made a statement to gardai in Limerick after returning from the concert and that Daly was arrested three months later.

He admitted during interview that he had deliberately got onto the Luas, heading for the Rihanna concert, to touch young girls and get sexually aroused.

He said he had it “in my head to do it” and had been doing it “for my own satisfaction”.

Judge Mary Ellen Ring was told Daly has previously served a six year prison sentence for serious sexual offences relating to attacks on other young girls and an elderly lady.

Victim impact reports from the two Limerick girls, who can’t be identified, were handed into Judge Ring this Wednesday but were not read out in court.

Neither the girls nor their families were in court for the hearing.

Daly will be sentenced in January.

See this week’s Limerick Leader, print edition, for full report