Man accused of double knife attack in County Limerick is denied bail

Gerard Fitzgibbon

Reporter:

Gerard Fitzgibbon

A NEWCASTLE West man accused of carrying out a double knife attack in the centre of the town last month has been remanded in custody after he was denied bail.

A NEWCASTLE West man accused of carrying out a double knife attack in the centre of the town last month has been remanded in custody after he was denied bail.

Stephen Daly, 23, of Sharwood Estate, Newcastle West is accused of assaulting causing harm to David O’Connor and Tim Lynch on Maiden Street on August 6, contrary to the Offences Against the Persons Act.

Both men suffered wounds to their necks and heads in the incident.

Daly has also been charged with possession of a knife or blade contrary to section 39 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act on the same date. If convicted, he faces up to five years in prison.

Daly has been held in custody since he was arrested at Churchtown, Newcastle West on the evening of August 6, and was originally charged at a special sitting of Limerick City District Court on August 8.

Daly made his first formal application for bail at Newcastle West District Court this Tuesday.

Speaking in court, Supt Dan Flavin said that a book of evidence in the case is not yet complete, but stressed that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) “has given priority to the book of evidence in this case”.

Garda Michael McNamara outlined the State’s objection to Daly receiving bail.

Solicitor Michael O’Donnell, representing the accused, said that if his client was granted bail he would be willing to abide by any restrictions imposed by the court.

Mr O’Donnell said that Daly was seeking bail as the DPP “will take a considerable period of time” to complete a book of evidence in this case.

Judge John O’Neill denied Daly’s application for bail, and remanded him in custody to appear before Newcastle West court again on September 14, for service of the book of evidence.