GARDAI in Limerick say they will continue to clampdown on motoring offences despite a reduction in the amount of serious accidents so far this year.
Since January, there have been two fatalities in Limerick, which is a reduction of 60% compared to the same period last year. Members of the traffic corps manned additional checkpoints and extra patrols at the weekend as part of Operation Focus.
The pre-planned operation was run on Friday and Saturday across counties Limerick, Kerry and Cork.
Areas targeted in Limerick included the city and towns and villages such as Pallasgreen, Croom, Adare and Kilmallock.
“Road safety is the key and we had a few detections,” said Sgt Peter Kelly.
A number of mandatory alcohol checkpoints were set up as part of Operation Focus and gardai also clamped down on speeding, mobile phone and seat belt offences during the high visibility operation.
Assistant Garda Commissioner John O’Mahoney says Operation Focus was a way of reminding motorists to be careful on the roads.
“While the continued downward trend in fatalities is to be welcomed we appeal to road users to continue to focus on road safety in order that we can continue the reduction in deaths and serious injury and spare families the pain and grief associated with such sudden loss of a loved one,” he said.
Around 80 gardai were deployed as part of Operation Focus, which ran for a 24 hour period across the Southern Garda Region.
“I welcome the initiative and I am confident that it will lead to the prosecution of people who still refuse to acknowledge the dangers associated with inappropriate speed, driving under the influence and other breaches of the Road Traffic Act that can cost lives it will also remind people that if you continue to take chances on our roads you will be caught,” said Noel Brett, chief executive of the Road Safety Authority.