Limerick gardai granted more time to question tiger kidnapping suspect

David Hurley

Reporter:

David Hurley

editorial image
Gardai investigating an alleged tiger kidnapping on the outskirts of Limerick city have been given additional time to question a man who was arrested earlier this week.

Gardai investigating an alleged tiger kidnapping on the outskirts of Limerick city have been given additional time to question a man who was arrested earlier this week.

The 21-year-old old was arrested in the St Patrick’s Road area of the city shortly before 7.30am on Wednesday morning.

At a special sitting of Limerick District Court tonight, Chief Supt David Sheahan applied to have the suspect’s period of detention extended by 72 hours.

He said the investigation is being conducted “diligently and expeditiously” and that he believes additional time is needed to further the investigation.

Judge Aeneas McCarthy, who granted the application, was told house-to-house inquiries are ongoing and that CCTV footage is still being gathered and examined by gardai.

A number of items, recovered as part of the investigation, have been sent to the Garda Technical Bureau for forensic analysis.

Gardai believe the suspect was one of three men who abducted 19-year-old Stephen Cusack and a friend of his from a house in Castletroy last Sunday night. Mr Cusack, who managed to escape a number of hours later, was targeted because his family run a busy post office and newsagents in the Garryowen area of the city.

A fifteen-year-old boy was granted bail on Wednesday when he appeared in court charged with falsely imprisoning Mr Cusack.

A 34-year-old man who was arrested in the Lord Edward Street area earlier this evening remains in garda custody.

To keep up-to-date, follow the Limerick Leader on Twitter.