A TEENAGER who is accused of damaging around a dozen parked cars spent the new year in detention after he was refused bail.
The 17-year-old, who cannot be named because of his age, is accused of causing criminal damage to eleven cars which were parked in the Roches Street area of the city during the early hours of December 29, last.
He has an address on the southside of the city and will turn 18 next June.
Following his arrest, the youth was questioned at Henry Street garda station before being brought before a special sitting of the Children’s Court .
The court was told gardai were alerted at around 5am and that when they arrived in the area they located the defendant hiding under a parked car.
It is alleged he was in possession of a wheel brace at the time and was under the influence of an intoxicant of some description.
The youth has been charged with causing criminal damage to 11 different vehicles on December 29 and he is also accused of causing damage to another vehicle at St James’ Mews, Alphonsus Street on a date last July.
It is believed hundreds of euro worth of damage was caused although specific details were not outlined in court.
During the brief hearing, Judge Aeneas McCarthy granted the youth free legal aid and solicitor Sarah Ryan was assigned to represent him.
A bail application made by Ms Ryan was strongly opposed by gardai who expressed fears the defendant would commit further crimes if released.
Judge McCarthy was told the defendant was previously granted High Court bail – relating to separate matters – and that he was in breach of a number of bail conditions when he was arrested.
Inspector Paul Reidy said a file is being prepared for the DPP in relation to the criminal damage matters but that it is expected the matter will proceeded on indictment at the circuit court.
Noting the garda concerns Judge McCarthy said he was refusing bail.
The youth was remanded in detention to Oberstown Boys School in Dublin and he is due to appear before the children’s court again tomorrow, January 5.