FLOODING problems at areas across Limerick already reeling from water damage are likely to continue following the ESB’s announcement that there will be no change in water discharge levels from Parteen Weir.
Limerick City and County Council issued a statement this Monday evening saying that the decision to maintain the 440m3 per second water flow is to be reviewed on Tuesday and that Castleconnell, Lisnagry, Montepelier, UL and Annacotty may continue to be affected by rising waters.
A spokesperson for the council urged road users to drive with caution, as there may be flooding on local roads.
Meanwhile, “resilient” residents are picking up the pieces in Corbally after the weekend’s flooding, which resulted in a number of damaged houses and the temporary closure of the local school.
Fine Gael TD Kieran O’Donnell said that a resident told him that “flooding is like having your home broken into”. He said that if the Lock Quay gates had been opened on time, flooding at Richmond Park and parts of College Park could have been avoided.
The Fine Gael TD said that was there not enough warning for the Corbally residents.
Due to significant flooding on the grounds of Ardscoil Mhuire, the school was closed on Monday, but is to re-open on Tuesday, after receiving the all clear following the HSE’s full survey of the premises.
Principal Bríd Herbert said that the school had to be disinfected and pest control had to be brought in to ensure that there were “no unwanted visitors”.
Resident and childminder Valerie Beegan, Richmond Park, said that the water was “up to my knees” at her driveway, on Sunday.
Since Sunday, the council has completed clean-up works to roads in the Corbally area that had been affected by flooding over the weekend.
Approximately 10,000 sandbags have been distributed to households and businesses in flood-hit areas, according to the council. A number of roads in the Castleconnell area are closed.