A RETIRED teacher who indecently assaulted six schoolboys at a school in Limerick more than thirty years ago is likely to be sentenced before Christmas.
The 73-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was convicted, last month, of 30 charges relating to offences which happened on dates between September 1, 1978 and June 30, 1981.
During a ten-day trial at Limerick Circuit Court, a jury of seven men and five women heard evidence from each of the victims, who are now aged in their 40s.
The jury was unable to agree a verdict regarding 42 other charges relating to seven different alleged victims.
A decision has not yet been made by the Director of Public Prosecutions regarding a possible retrial.
This Wednesday, John O’Sullivan BL, prosecuting, said lawyers representing the defendant were “anxious to have the case dealt with by Christmas”.
He said the State is currently in the process of securing victim impact statements from each of the six victims and that it is unlikely they will be ready next week.
Judge Tom O’Donnell was told December 21 has been identified as a possible date for the sentencing hearing but that “greater clarity” would be required before that date can be confirmed.
Judge O’Donnell noted this and he indicated he would contact his colleague, Judge John Hannan, in the coming days.
The matter was adjourned to Friday when a date for the sentencing hearing will be confirmed.
The defendant has been in custody since his conviction as he did not seek bail.