A LIMERICK man who sexually assaulted a middle-aged woman in a laneway on the southside of the city will be sentenced next month.
Jonathan Colbert, aged 27, of Hyde Avenue, Prospect, was due to go on trial earlier this year after he initially pleaded not guilty to a charge of aggravated sexual assault.
However, at the Central Criminal Court in March, he dramatically pleaded guilty after a jury of 11 men and one woman had been selected for the trial.
The victim, who was aged 48, was attacked at a cul-de-sac near Hyde Avenue, Prospect on October, 2013.
During a sentencing hearing this Monday, Garda Donna Ryan told Gerry Clarke SC, prosecuting, that the woman had been walking home from a night out when Colbert grabbed her and dragged her into a nearby estate.
Colbert pinned the woman against a wall and banged her head off it three times.
He took down his trousers and underwear and tried to undo the woman’s belt, as she screamed for help. The court heard that a female resident in the estate contacted gardaí after she heard the screaming.
The woman was still screaming and struggling with Colbert when gardaí arrived on the scene. He pretended to make a phone call and then ran off.
Garda Ryan said Colbert was too intoxicated to be interviewed immediately after arrest, but later claimed his victim had engaged in consensual sex acts with him.
The court heard the victim declined to make a Victim Impact Statement as she wished to put the matter behind her.
John Phelan SC, defending, handed Ms Justice Margaret Heneghan a psychologist’s report and asked her to make “any or all” of the recommended courses available to his client.
Ms Justice Heneghan directed that Colbert be added to the Sex Offenders Register and adjourned sentencing to November 2 next to allow her to read the reports submitted to the court.