A DECISION on the custody of Jason Corbett’s children will not be taken until this week, after a United States custody hearing was adjourned on Friday.
The children, Jack and Sarah Corbett, are understood to have been placed into the care of Mr Corbett’s second wife, Molly Martens Corbett by US social services following the death of Limerickman Jason, from Janesboro.
He was found dead at his home in Wallburg, North Carolina, with fatal head injuries on Sunday, August 2, following what was reported as a ‘domestic disturbance’.
Mr Corbett was married to local woman Molly Martens, who has been questioned by the police in relation to his death.
Ms Martens Corbett and her family are attempting to take custody of the children, it is understood, with her uncle Michael Ernest reportedly declaring that she should get custody of the children.
“Family is extremely important to Molly and she would want the extended family to be a part of their lives,” he said, according to reports.
A number of Jason’s family have travelled over to the US since the tragic incident, but have not been allowed make contact with the children.
Mr Corbett’s sister Tracey Lynch and her husband David were appointed legal guardians to the Corbett children after their mother died, and have said they are in possession of a will that reflects that position.
A guardianship hearing in North Carolina on Friday failed to decide on an outcome, with the judge explaining that he would wait until after the weekend to make a decision in the case.
The judge hearing the case ordered a media black out and proceedings were also closed off to the public.
The case will decide if the children will remain in the US with Ms Martens Corbett, or return to Limerick with Tracey and David Lynch.
Mr Lynch said they had not had any contact with the children since arriving in America.
“Tracey got to speak with them for 10 seconds before she left Ireland. Jason’s will states that the children are to be put into our care should anything happen to him, and his wishes should be honoured,” he explained.
Speaking on the Marian Finucane show on RTE Radio on Saturday Mr Corbett’s brother John said that Ms Martens Corbett had tried to adopt the children on a number of occasions, but that Jason had been against it.
“He must have had some concerns not to allow it,” he said. “I feel she wants custody so it will benefit her in the criminal investigation… and also for the very substantial estate of Jason.”
No arrests have been made to date in the case. A grand jury will decide next month whether Ms Martens Corbett, will be charged with murder.
Police in the US have said they are not looking for anyone else in connection with their inquiries, after a 911 call was made just after 3am on that date.
The 39-year-old moved to the US four years ago with his young children Sara and Jack, following the tragic death of his first wife and “soulmate” Mags in 2006, who passed away due to an asthma attack.
His remains were repatriated to Ireland last week and he due to be buried alongside his first wife.