Killer found not guilty over Limerick shooting

David Hurley

Reporter:

David Hurley

Ian Horgan has pleaded not Ian Horgan was found not guilty by a jury following a five-day trial at Limerick Circuit Court
A CONVICTED killer and rapist was acquitted of charges relating to a shooting incident on the southside of the city almost 14 months ago.

A CONVICTED killer and rapist was acquitted of charges relating to a shooting incident on the southside of the city almost 14 months ago.

Throughout a week-long trial at Limerick Circuit Court, Ian Horgan, aged 31, who is originally from Ballincollig in Cork but who has an address at Lenihan Avenue, Prospect, had denied possession of a shotgun with intent to endanger life at Byrne Avenue, Prospect on December 12, 2013.

During the trial, the jury of six men and six women was told Sean Finnan, who was aged 26 at the time, sustained “multiple pellet wounds” to his chest, abdomen and wrist when he was shot while smoking outside the front door of his home at around 9.30pm.

The jury was told the defendant, who was arrested at a house at Lenihan Avenue shortly after midnight, repeatedly denied any involvement in the shooting during garda interviews.

Horgan told gardai he was at home all night drinking and that gardai had “ruined it” when they arrived to arrest him.

Explaining firearms residue, which was found on his hands, face and clothing the defendant told gardai he had been shooting at trees with a friend at a farm in North Cork a number of days earlier.

Following less than two hours of deliberations, the jury of six men and six women returned with a unanimous not guilty verdict.

While Horgan did not react as the verdict was read out, there were gasps of “yes” from the public gallery.

It can now be revealed that Horgan previously received a lengthy prison sentence for the manslaughter and rape of Rachel Kiely (22) in Ballincollig more than fourteen years ago.

Following his release in August 2013, Horgan initially lived in Cork before moving to Limerick.

Following the conclusion of the trial, Judge Tom O’Donnell thanked the jurors for their service and he excused them from further jury service for five years.

Another man remains before the courts in relation to the shooting.