A MAN has appeared in court accused of raping a woman on three separate occasions in the Adare area last summer.
The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is also facing one charge of sexually assaulting the same woman.
All four offences are alleged to have taken place in Adare on dates in July and August last year.
Speaking in court in Newcastle West last Thursday, Garda Thomas Keane of Adare garda station gave evidence of formally arresting the man earlier that morning, September 27.
Garda Keane said that after the accused was charged with the first two rape offences, he replied “I did not rape [the victim]” both times.
Sgt Frank O’Sullivan of Askeaton gardai also gave evidence of charging the man with the third rape offence and the sexual assault offence. The accused again denied carrying out either crime after he was charged, Sgt O’Sullivan told the court.
The court heard that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has indicated that the case should be sent forward for trial at the Central Criminal Court.
Insp Paul Reidy requested that the case be adjourned until the end of October to allow for a book of evidence to be completed.
The court heard that gardai had no objection to the accused being granted bail, provided that an independent surety of €2,000 be lodged on his behalf by a third party.
Insp Reidy asked that the accused be directed to sign on twice a week at a County Limerick garda station, and that he make “no contact with the injured party, direct or indirect”.
Solicitor Turlough Herbert, defending, said that he had no objection to the bail conditions outlined by the State.
Judge Aingeal Ní Chondúin remanded the accused on bail to appear before Newcastle West Court again on October 25, for service of a book of evidence.