Residents concerned that dispute in Limerick estate may ‘explode’

David Hurley

Reporter:

David Hurley

THERE are fears that a local dispute in the Moyross area of the city could escalate out of control following a violent incident in Delmege Park last week.

THERE are fears that a local dispute in the Moyross area of the city could escalate out of control following a violent incident in Delmege Park last week.

Two men were stabbed during a mass brawl, which some local residents claim involved up to 40 people.

One of the men sustained serious injuries and required hospital treatment following the incident which happened at around 4.30pm last Tuesday.

It is understood one of the men was targeted in a fight over a woman and that the second was injured when he intervened.

Gardai are aware of the incident but sources say they have not received any formal complaint from either of the injured parties.

The Limerick Leader understands that gardai have identified the culprit and that efforts to locate him are continuing.

The man, who is aged in his early 20s, is known to the gardai and has a number of serious convictions dating back to when he was a teenager.

A number of local residents contacted the Limerick Leader in the wake of the incident but none were willing to speak about it on the record.

Some described how they were forced to bring their children inside and lock their doors during the fracas which happened in broad daylight.

“I have never seen the like of it they had iron bars and were fighting for a good while,” said one man who claimed that some of the people involved were on horseback.

Another man described the incident as being an “out and out battle” which lasted for more than 20 minutes.

An anonymous letter sent to the Limerick Leader on Friday claims the stabbing suspect has “now got hold of a gun” from criminal elements and that he has made threats against a number of individuals living in the Delmege Park area.

The letter writer claims the situation on the ground is “in danger of exploding” if action is not taken quickly to stop the man who is named in the handwritten letter.

Sinn Fein Cllr Maurice Quinlivan says gardai need to ensure that people feel free in their homes.

“I’m very concerned about what happened and I have spoken to the gardai about the issue and we need to ensure that ordinary decent people can live freely and safely in their homes,” he said calling on anybody with information about what happened to contact the gardai.

Meanwhile, a special policing operation has been established to combat a recent increase in antisocial behaviour and criminality in the Cosgrave Park area of Moyross.