Man accused of carrying out raid at County Limerick home is granted bail

David Hurley

Reporter:

David Hurley

A FORTY-year-old man who is charged in connection with an aggravated burglary in Pallasgreen last month has been released from custody after he was granted bail by the High Court.

A FORTY-year-old man who is charged in connection with an aggravated burglary in Pallasgreen last month has been released from custody after he was granted bail by the High Court.

Christopher Stokes of St Anthony’s Park, Knocknaheeny in Cork city is accused of entering Sunville House, Pallasgreen shortly before 10pm on April 16, last.

It is alleged the defendant - an unemployed married father-of-three - was one of four men who entered the house armed with a sawn-off shotgun, a baseball bat and a sledge hammer.

Two members of the family - including a teenage girl - were allegedly tied up during the incident and almost €10,000 worth sterling and dollars was allegedly taken from the house by the culprits.

Stokes appeared before Limerick District Court a number of days later after he was charged with burglary and six counts of false imprisonment under the Non Fatal Offences Against the Person Act.

When the defendant appeared before the court again, solicitor Ted McCarthy said his client had been granted bail by the High Court. He told the court that gardai did not object to the application despite opposing it at the District Court.

Sgt Donal Cronin said he was not aware of this and he told the court the book of evidence in the case was not ready.

Judge O’Brien remanded Stokes on continuing bail until September 12, next to facilitate the completion of the book of evidence.

Gardai say a file is to be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions in relation to the incident.