Mum accused of murdering son remanded in custody

David Hurley

Reporter:

David Hurley

A CHARLEVILLE woman who is accused of murdering her eight-year-old son more than two months ago was remanded in continuing custody following a brief court sitting this week.

A CHARLEVILLE woman who is accused of murdering her eight-year-old son more than two months ago was remanded in continuing custody following a brief court sitting this week.

Diane Ward, aged 43, of Harrisons Place, Charleville, Co Cork is charged with killing Anthony Ward at their home in Charleville on September 3.

The body of the schoolboy was found at the house after emergency services and gardai were alerted to an incident which occurred there in the early hours of the morning of the alleged offence.

A major investigation was launched and post-mortem results conducted on the body of the eight-year-old showed he died from asphyxia.

At Limerick Court, Supt Pat McCarthy of Mallow garda station said the garda investigation into the matter had concluded.

He said a “substantial file” had been prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions in the case.

The court was told that the file was forwarded by gardai to the office of the DPP on October 31, last and that its contents are currently being reviewed.

“I’m looking for a further two week adjournment (of the case),” said Supt McCarthy.

Solicitor Paul Cagney, who was previously assigned to represent Ms Ward through the free-legal-aid scheme, did not oppose the application and he told the court the adjournment was “by consent”.

Noting Mr Cagney’s comments, Judge Eugene O’Kelly granted the application for an adjournment and he remanded the defendant in continuing custody until November 27 next.