Limerick gardai still questioning tiger kidnapping suspects

David Hurley

Reporter:

David Hurley

TWO men are still being questioned in connection with an alleged tiger kidnapping on the outskirts of Limerick city last week.

TWO men are still being questioned in connection with an alleged tiger kidnapping on the outskirts of Limerick city last week.

The men - aged 21 and 34 - were arrested in the St Patrick’s Road and Lord Edward Street areas of the city last Thursday and Friday respectively.

Investigating gardai suspect the men forced their way into a house at Caislean Na hAbhann, Castletroy at around 11.30pm on August 19, last and abducted the two occupants at gunpoint.

Stephen Cusack and a friend of his were allegedly tied up and gagged before being driven by the culprits to a derelict house on the outskirts of the city when Mr Cusack was held for a number of hours.

It is believed the 19-year-old was targeted because members of his family run Garryowen Post Office and a nearby newsagents.

A fifteen-year-old boy, who was arrested shortly after the alarm was raised was granted bail last Wednesday despite an objection from Det Garda Brian O’Connor.

The youth, who is due to appear in court again in October, is accused of falsely imprisoning Stephen Cusack.

Meanwhile, gardai were granted court orders to extend the men’s period of detention at the weekend and last night they were granted permission to detain the 21-year-old for a further 48 hours.

Chief Supt David Sheahan said a full investigation into the tiger kidnapping was being conducted “diligently and expeditiously” and he said several items had been sent to garda headquarters for forensic analysis.

The court heard that a team of four gardai had been assigned to source and examine CCTV.

Both men, who are being detained at Henry Street garda station, have each been interviewed by detectives more than a dozen times since their arrest.