FINE Gael’s Deputy Kieran O’Donnell expects the Mid-Western Regional Hospital to get additional funding to deal with overcrowding in the emergency department.
While Health Minister James Reilly has been emphasising the need for hospitals to stay within budget, saying no “extra money” was available for Dooradoyle, funds may now be transferred from the National Treatment Purchase Fund.
Hospitals in Dublin, Cork and Galway last week got €3 million from the Department of Health to deal with problems in A&E.
After overcrowding reached critical levels in Limerick last Tuesday - with over 80 patients waiting on trolleys in A&E or on overflow beds in wards and corridors - Labour’s Deputy Jan O’Sullivan expressed surprise that Limerick had not received any funding from the special delivery unit of the Department of Health. She was told by Minister Reilly that the HSE Mid-West had not yet applied for the money.
Deputy O’Donnell said that the application had since been made for an undisclosed amount.
“I am pleased that the HSE Mid-West has applied for this specific funding to tackle difficulties in the A&E. This will enable the hospital to implement measures which will ease the huge pressures in the emergency department and improve the patient service,” he said.