Convicted rapist jailed at Limerick Court over offensive weapon

A CONVICTED rapist who was involved in the brutal gang rape of a woman in Cratloe Woods six years ago, has been living in fear for his safety since his release from prison this year, a court has heard.

A CONVICTED rapist who was involved in the brutal gang rape of a woman in Cratloe Woods six years ago, has been living in fear for his safety since his release from prison this year, a court has heard.

The rapist was one of five men convicted of charges relating to the attack on the victim and the vicious assault of her male companion which were described by the sentencing judge at the time as crimes of "appalling barbarity".

Dean Barry served five years of the nine year sentence imposed on him for his involvement in the rape in January 2004 when he was 16 years of age.

The 22-year-old was released from prison earlier this year and according to his solicitor, Ted McCarthy, "Certain people have an idea that they are doing society a favour by perpetuating violence against him."

The convicted rapist appeared before Limerick District Court where he read a book entitled 'Nightmare in Laos: The True Story of a Woman Imprisoned in a Communist Gulag', while waiting for his case to be heard.

His solicitor told the court Barry has been unable to secure long-term accommodation since his release from prison because as soon as landlords discover his background, they ask him to leave.

Mr McCarthy said his client returned to his home in Garryglass Avenue where he was targeted by young men from the locality intent on causing him harm.

The court was told that gardai were on mobile patrol on Hyde Road on August 8 last when they observed a car driving at speed in the direction of Garryglass Avenue.

Two men got out of the vehicle carrying weapons and set upon Barry who was armed with a baseball bat. There were up to 30 people in the area at the time, the court heard.

The two aggressors were arrested, and Barry was later arrested and charged with Section 11 possession of a weapon and Section 15 violent disorder.

His solicitor told the court that his client had the baseball bat "because he was in fear for his safety", adding that gardai accept that Barry is under threat.

Separately, the defendant was also charged with obstructing a garda in the earlier hours of July 9 this year, following his arrest on O'Connell Street where he was observed striking a man from behind without any sign of provocation.

The court heard how Barry headbutted the front door of Henry Street garda station after he had been released from custody, lashing out at gardai on duty at the time who had to restrain him.

Mr McCarthy said the defendant wanted gardai to return the items they had taken from him upon his arrest, and he wished to apologise for his behaviour.

Judge Tom O'Donnell noted that the DPP saw fit to allow these matters be dealt with in the District Court on the basis of the accused's guilty plea. He said the circumstances surrounding the incident at Garryglass Avenue were disturbing.

“Two wrongs don’t make a right,” the judge said, noting that the parties who arrived in Garryglass Avenue were wrong to do so, and Barry was wrong to retaliate. The judge imposed a six month sentence for possession of an offensive weapons and took the violent disorder charge into consideration.

He also imposed two six month sentences to run concurrently for the offences committed on O’Connell Street and Henry Street Garda Station.