A TEENAGER who sustained serious leg injuries when he was shot at last week was released on bail less than a fortnight earlier it can be revealed, writes David Hurley.
The 17-year-old, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, is currently before the courts accused of robbing a smartphone from a woman at Mulgrave Street during an incident earlier this month.
The youth, who recently served a two month sentence for a separate theft offence, was released on bail after a special sitting of the children’s court was told there was no detention bed available at Oberstown House.
The court was told that had a bed been available, gardai would have strongly objected to bail.
While investigations into last week’s shooting are ongoing, it is understood the youth whose cousin is serving a life sentence for murder, was with a number of other youths when he was shot in the leg at around 10am last Thursday.
While no formal complaint has been made, gardai are satisfied the shooting happened near the railway tracks in Janesboro.
Afterwards, the victim managed to make his way to Carey’s Road where he collapsed onto a footpath.
Paramedics treated him at the scene before taking him to University Hospital .
While serious, his injuries are not life threatening.
The youth, who is due to turn 18 in August, has more than 30 previous convictions for a variety of offences including theft, public order and road traffic matters.
Gardai at Roxboro Road are investigating the shooting and detectives are examining CCTV footage from the area.
House to house inquiries have been conducted but so far no arrests have been made.
Anybody with information is asked to contact Roxboro Road garda station on (061) 214340.