A MAN who is accused of stabbing two non-nationals at an apartment in the city centre last month has been refused bail
Alan Culhane, aged 34, who is originally from the city but who has no fixed abode is accused of assaulting two of the occupants of a flat at Lower Glentworth Street during the early hours of December 2, last.
One of the men was stabbed three times in the face while the second sustained stab wounds to his body.
It is alleged the two men were tied up by the defendant after they confronted him when he broke into their flat through a skylight in the roof.
Opposing a bail application, Garda Finbarr Stanton said when he arrested Mr Culhane nearby a short time after the alarm was raised, he recovered several items of property which had been taken from the apartment.
Judge Eugene O’Kelly was told another occupant of the apartment has identified Mr Culhane as the culprit and he said CCTV footage from the area also shows him leaving the apartment.
Garda Stanton said the defendant lived in Great Britain for several years prior to returning to Limerick in 2010 and that he believes there “is a very serious risk” he will return to England and will not stand trial if released.
He added that he believed Mr Culhane would commit further serious crimes if granted bail.
Solicitor John Herbert said his client’s partner had a baby recently and that there was an address available to him in Limerick. He added that Mr Culhane has “no intention to leave the jurisdiction”.
He said his client had not targeted the the apartment on the night as he was attempting to break into an adjacent premises.
Judge O’Kelly said the garda objections to bail were “reasonable in the circumstances” and he refused bail.
The case was adjourned to February 11, next for DPP’s directions.