Two west Limerick brothers have appeared before Limerick District Court in connection with an alleged assault on a married couple in Ballyhahill earlier this month.
Denis Mulcahy is charged with assault causing harm and possession of an article while his brother Joseph is charged with assault arising from an incident on the afternoon of Saturday, August 17, in which Tony Kennelly and Anne Hallet were allegedly set upon by up to six people on the street in the west Limerick village.
It is alleged that Mr Kennelly sustained facial and body injuries and that Ms Hallett was injured in the leg as a result of the incident.
Garda Ger Griffin, Athea garda station, told Judge John Oâ€™Neill last Wednesday that when charged in connection with the incident, 23-year-old Denis Mulcahy, of Riverview, Ballyhahill, had replied â€œI didnâ€™t have a knife. I used no knife on anyoneâ€.
His 20-year-old brother Joseph had made no reply when charged, Garda Griffin said.
An application for bail in respect of Joseph Mulcahy was made by solicitor Darrach McCarthy but was opposed by the state under Section 2 of the Bail Act given the serious nature of the charges before the court.
Mr McCarthy said in respect of Joseph Mulcahy that he was the primary carer for a partner who had special needs and was pregnant and that he was prepared to abide by any bail conditions set by the court.
Judge Oâ€™Neill refused the application and remanded Joseph Mulcahy in custody to appear before the court again this Wednesday.
No application for bail was made on Denis Mulcahyâ€™s behalf last week and when both brothers appeared before Judge Oâ€™Neill this Wednesday, they were further remanded in custody to appear before Newcastle West District Court on Tuesday next, September 3.