Limerick man accused of sexually assaulting minor

Gerard Fitzgibbon

Reporter:

Gerard Fitzgibbon

A MAN has appeared in court accused of sexually assaulting a minor on 32 occasions in West Limerick over an eight-year period.

A MAN has appeared in court accused of sexually assaulting a minor on 32 occasions in West Limerick over an eight-year period.

The 60-year-old, who cannot be named but has an address in the Limerick city area, was formally charged last Thursday with the offences which are alleged to have taken place in the Glin area between 1988 and 1995.

At Newcastle West Court last Thursday Garda Elaine Freemantle gave evidence of arresting the man earlier that morning by appointment.

She added that the accused, who was present in court, made no reply after he was charged with each of the 32 individual offences.

Inspector Paul Reidy told the court that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has submitted that the case be sent forward for trial at the circuit court.

Insp Reidy asked that the case be adjourned to allow for a book of evidence to be finalised.

He said that the book of evidence “might be ready” in March, but “will definitely be ready by April”, and that gardai have no objection to the accused being granted bail until then.

Solicitor John Lynch, defending, described the case as a “quite serious matter”. Mr Lynch said that the accused is employed “but not in a very well paid position”.

Judge Mary Larkin fixed bail of €500 and remanded the accused on bail until March 12.

She also issued an order preventing the reporting of the accused’s name.