Attack on Limerick firefighters condemned by residents

David Hurley

Reporter:

David Hurley

RESIDENTS in Southill have condemned an attack on members of the fire service last week which saw two firefighters being hospitalised.

RESIDENTS in Southill have condemned an attack on members of the fire service last week which saw two firefighters being hospitalised.

Separate investigations are continuing following the incident which happened on November 14 at Salvia Court as firefighters were attempting to extinguish two house fires in the area.

The firemen were injured when a group of youths began throwing rocks and other missiles at them shortly before 9pm. Ten other firemen, who were also tackling the house fires were forced to retreat for a short time but were not hurt.

The injured firemen were discharged from hospital the following morning.

Both of the derelict houses were completely destroyed by the fires, which gardai believe were started maliciously.

In a statement issued this week on behalf of the O’Malley Keyes Parks Residents Group Community Officer, Mary Higgins said there was shock and anger in the local community following the incident.

“We would like to thank Limerick Fire Service for all the work they have done and support they given to this community over the years,” she said.

The statement added: “The O’Malley Keyes Parks Resident Group condemns the recent attack on the Fire Services that took place on Wednesday November 14 in Salvia Court. This criminal behaviour perpetrated by a small number of people is abhorred and vehemently condemned by the Resident Group and wider Community. We do hope that this incident will not jeopardise the response of the emergency services in the future.”

Limerick city chief fire officer, Michael Ryan has also condemned last week’s incident.

“The attack on our fire fighters is shocking and disgraceful,” he said.